Question Of The Week... (2020 week 5)

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
It would be free standing, maybe a gambrel roof.
On the sides would be large windows with contrasting trim. Board and batten siding, sealed with penofin. On the side facing me would be a large entrance door. Facing the driveway, a very large door on barn like rollers.
Heat and bathroom with a shower. Bathroom would have Corian countertop, shower will be tiled.
Ceiling fans, and wood stove to save on heating oil.
Outlets every 4 feet, 240 outlets every 10 feet.
10 foot high ceilings, cement floor with wide board floors.
Steel roof, probably red or green.
Upstairs storage
Insulated for winter. All windows allow cross ventilation during summer.
Area specific for car/equipment repairs and metal work. floor drains in car area
Walls painted with cream colored eggshell, ceilings off white.

I like the Gambrel roof. It would be neat to be similar to a barn. Have the one short side ground level with an insulated overhead door and the other buried so you could drive in the top of the building with a set of forks for stalking lumber and parking the portable mill, SUV, snow blower, lawn mower and a few dozen other things. Of coarse, both steps and utility elevator from shop to storage. A few large windows for light and window shopping. Field and pond in one view, woods and saphouse in the other. And them those other things you said too.

kweinert

Reaction score
First name
Ken
I would like to have a shop like this:

red-raised-monitor-barn-builders.jpg

One side with sliding doors that the bandsaw mill will sit behind, I'd also like to fit in a solar kiln. I'd need a small office and bathroom on one side and a separate room/partition for dust collection and air compressor for noise reduction.

I've thought of being able to run electric and dust collection under the floor just to keep them out of sight. Obvious you'd need some cleanout access to the dust collection, but that's a detail to be worked out.

Having the machines in a fixed position with room between them to work and some storage for wood that's better than what I have now.

David Van Asperen

Reaction score
First name
David
A roof that doesn't leak insulated walls , Windows that function, doors that don't rub the floor and seal nicely in the casing. Permanent dust collection, electrical outlets located so I don't have to use extension cords.
Hearing and cooling and a bathroom with running water .
All of the above attached to a building that is large enough to put the mill inside and use it there with lumber storage and a kiln.

Tclem

Can't buy love. Buy wood instead
Reaction score
First name
Tony
A shop that had a pizza buffet and cheeseburger grill

Otterhound

WB Enthusiast
Banned
Reaction score
First name
Richard
Organized . Currently , I am using a 50'x25' area . Plenty of windows . The recent installation of 2 kiln chambers has taken up some serious space . Guess I'll be needing to expand into the adjoining area that is about 20'x25' . This will include the bathroom area that is unheated at this time . Of course , the water is turned off . I will be retaining all of my indoor air drying areas . That is all . Yes , because of what a mess it currently is , I am not posting any pictures . You are all welcome to stop by and have a look .