Question Of The Week... (2021 week 14)

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Thanks Doug, I have heard the recovery is tough, one reason I put it off till now, but it has been gradually been getting worse, so time to get-r-done.......
Have had a few friends get the procedure as well as my mom (because she shattered it in a fall) - be sure you do what the doc and pt says. The pt is very important.

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Got some stuff to finish up for my wife. But after that I have a yew root I want to turn, turn some pine roots, finish an Atlantic salmon carving, finish a RC sailboat (but first I have to buy a better saw and a thickness sander to make the planking I need), make a fly rod or two, refinish a fly rod or two and do some more carving and watercolor.

Last edited:

William Tanner

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Got some stuff to finish up for my wife. But after that I have a yew root I want to turn, turn some pine roots, finish an Atlantic salmon carving, finish a RC sailboat (but first I have to buy a better saw and a thickness sander to make the planking I need), make a fly rod or two, refinish a fly rod or two and do some more carving and watercolor.
I’ve got a buddy who is building a tall ship and he bought a thickness sander from Micro Mark. He has been very impressed with it. Just thought I would mention it.

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
One of the other guys on WB has a Micro Mark, but wanted something a little different. He bought a Byrnes Models One. I don't know if he has received it yet or not, but upon reading the specs, he thinks he is going to like it much better than the Micro Mark. So I'm waiting on his feedback before punching the buy button! It's going to be one of the two.

Last edited:

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Rip, cannot wait until you ask the burning question of all time! Y'all may know that I like to take pictures and gots me some pretty good equipment. But have noticed this odd trait whether I have a phone camera in my hand or a high-faluting Nikon with Nikon glass in my hand. When a photographer has a gaggle of women in front of him and announces that he is going to shoot a photo of them - what is the first thing they do? They put their hands on their thighs, bend their knees and crouch/squat down! Now why is that - do they all go to some photo finishing school that says they haveta do that? When are you gonna ast that burning question? Can I say burning on a wood worker forum?

Last edited:

Wildthings

ASTROS '23 ALCS CHAMPIONS runnerup
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Rip, cannot wait until you ask the burning question of all time! Y'all may know that I like to take pictures and gots me some pretty good equipment. But have noticed this odd trait whether I have a phone camera in my hand or a high-faluting Nikon with Nikon glass in my hand. When a photographer has a gaggle of women in front of him and announces that he is going to shoot a photo of them - what is the first thing they do? They put their hands on their thighs, bend their knees and crouch/squat down! Now why is that - do they all go to some photo finishing school that says they haveta do that? When are you gonna ast that burning question? Can I say burning on a wood worker forum?
Kinda like me in this picture ... learned that from my granddaughter. I can't reach my thighs anymore so on the hips

1617670027832.png

Last edited:

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
When are you gonna ast that burning question?
Well, most people know the answer already. Placing the hand on the waist or hip also creates an illusion that the waist is actually smaller. It puts the body into an S-curve shape, which looks good, photographs well, and appears more feminine.
Just don't purse your lips for pictures. It looks like a cats butt....

Lou Currier

Reaction score
First name
Lou
Yes, I'd like to know also. - thought they only had big tarpon there!
Every summer the scallop beds open up on the gulf coast by area. We go to the Crystal Springs area as there seem to be better hunting grounds. You collect them by snorkeling the surface until you spot one of the buggers trying to hide and you go down and get it. Finish up the day by eating the scallops usually paired with a nice grilled steak.

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
We're taking the shop here in a new direction. I partnered recently with a furniture designer in Ohio (She's a direct descendant of Gustav Stickley) and we're taking her design and developing it for quantity production. Worked with a bank to arrange financing and placed an order for a 10,000.00 Commercial CNC machine for the shop. Now we'll see how long it takes to pay that machine off..... In addition to that one project, the new CNC will allow me to bring back a number of products I discontinued here as not profitable due to the time it took to make them. Still quality materials and finished with hand work but the bulk of the shaping can be done much faster and with more precision. If all goes well, we'll be looking at adding 2000-3000 square feet to the shop in 2022.