• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. This section is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! All others will be deleted. This section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

Question Of The Week... (2021 week 8)

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Ebony and Ringed Gidgee would suit me just fine. The remaining wood species I could still obtain in limited quantities, which would suit me just fine! Chuck

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Just two? Man, that's a tough choice and it depends on what the project realm is.

If looking at building furniture:

Lately I've really been digging Ash. Built my workbench out of it. Going to be building some living room furniture out of it. I've also got the go ahead from my wife to buy some at some point to hoard/set aside for future use, since ash lumber will eventually be hard to find, with the emerald ash borer wreaking havoc. Cherry would probably be my other one - timeless, nice looking wood. Then there's maple and its so many faces and colors.

If looking at the kind of stuff you'd use more for smaller projects:

Desert Ironwood is a favorite of mine. As is Yellow Cedar Burl. And Thuya Burl. And Boxelder Burl (especially flamed). And Spalted Maple (especially with curls or burl). And...

Yeah, forget this whole "only two species of wood" thing! :sarcastic: :treehugger:

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Walnut is structural and rot resistant... :lol2:
Hello, Local Lumberyard? Yeah, I'm redoing my deck. Can you send me 18 2"X8"X12ft and 14 2"X8"X16ft walnut joists please? Oh, and I need two 4"X6"X20ft walnut beams too. No twists. A little curve won't hurt, I can straighten them as I stick them to the beams. Hello? Hello? Damn, they hung up.

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Hello, Local Lumberyard? Yeah, I'm redoing my deck. Can you send me 18 2"X8"X12ft and 14 2"X8"X16ft walnut joists please? Oh, and I need two 4"X6"X20ft walnut beams too. No twists. A little curve won't hurt, I can straighten them as I stick them to the beams. Hello? Hello? Damn, they hung up.
I was gonna build on the "unlimited supply" model... I mean if we are wishing we may as well wish for a pond full!

eaglea1

Castaway
Reaction score
First name
Randy
Ah right, I'm gettin some wood oh wait, I just read the first sentence and it's a question. Darn, ok how about
hardwoods and exotics... that should pretty much cover everything I would need.
Seriously, I would like Cocobolo and Lignum V.