Question Of The Week... (2021 week 8)

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Ebony and Ringed Gidgee would suit me just fine. The remaining wood species I could still obtain in limited quantities, which would suit me just fine! Chuck

David Hill

I collect & use Texas woods---but prefer Mesquite.
Reaction score
Cuero, Texas--Not far from the Third Coast
First name
David
Haha— It’s very simple for me!
I already have a relatively unlimited supply of Mesquite— that would be wood #1, then Walnut would be wood #2. In that respect am easy to please.

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Just two? Man, that's a tough choice and it depends on what the project realm is.

If looking at building furniture:

Lately I've really been digging Ash. Built my workbench out of it. Going to be building some living room furniture out of it. I've also got the go ahead from my wife to buy some at some point to hoard/set aside for future use, since ash lumber will eventually be hard to find, with the emerald ash borer wreaking havoc. Cherry would probably be my other one - timeless, nice looking wood. Then there's maple and its so many faces and colors.

If looking at the kind of stuff you'd use more for smaller projects:

Desert Ironwood is a favorite of mine. As is Yellow Cedar Burl. And Thuya Burl. And Boxelder Burl (especially flamed). And Spalted Maple (especially with curls or burl). And...

Yeah, forget this whole "only two species of wood" thing! :sarcastic: :treehugger:

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Walnut is structural and rot resistant... :lol2:
Hello, Local Lumberyard? Yeah, I'm redoing my deck. Can you send me 18 2"X8"X12ft and 14 2"X8"X16ft walnut joists please? Oh, and I need two 4"X6"X20ft walnut beams too. No twists. A little curve won't hurt, I can straighten them as I stick them to the beams. Hello? Hello? Damn, they hung up.

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Hello, Local Lumberyard? Yeah, I'm redoing my deck. Can you send me 18 2"X8"X12ft and 14 2"X8"X16ft walnut joists please? Oh, and I need two 4"X6"X20ft walnut beams too. No twists. A little curve won't hurt, I can straighten them as I stick them to the beams. Hello? Hello? Damn, they hung up.
I was gonna build on the "unlimited supply" model... I mean if we are wishing we may as well wish for a pond full!

eaglea1

Call Maker, Sign Engraver, Resin Caster
Reaction score
First name
Randy
Ah right, I'm gettin some wood oh wait, I just read the first sentence and it's a question. Darn, ok how about
hardwoods and exotics... that should pretty much cover everything I would need.
Seriously, I would like Cocobolo and Lignum V.

wade

Work with Your Brain, Hands, and Heart = Artist.
Reaction score
First name
Wade
I do like Eaglea1's picks Cocobolo and Lignum Vitae, but I would have to go with #1 - Madagascar Rosewood , Bois de Rose (Dalbergia Maritima) because of it's black streaks with Violet Purple wood. It takes your breath away when you cut into it. Metaphorically speaking...(not because its a toxic irritant...) And #2 - Ziricote. My first job in college was cutting up Train car loads of Ziricote, Granadillo, and Katalox 16/4 timbers. They paid me an hourly wage to cut these timbers up on an old Yates bandsaw, but they didn't really have to pay me. I couldn't wait to go to work everyday. Opening up the Ziricote 4 bys was like opening a christmas present every board. I don't want to even tell you what we did with our scrapwood........ It just hurts to talk about it...........

cionow777

Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Very difficult choice to make but I think that Hawaiian Koa and Black Walnut would be good choices if I needed to be practical.

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I've been thinking about this about 2 weeks now. (shhhh - not really, I just forgot about it!) About anything free is best, but I guess in all, and looking at my past purchases, I'd guess walnut crotch! And there is just something about birdseye maple that does it for me. But I have bought some tasmanian blackwood that I'm partial to (you know who you are). I'm getting to like ringed gidgee as I look for it - I have a small piece or too, but I want more since all the curly koa is sitting on other people's shelves. I do like the rosewoods a lot., And I think I'd like Texas Ebony, iff'n I could find some! Oh, and two toned ambonya burl makes my knees weak! For turning - fresh bradford pear - It is such fun seeing those ribbons flying over my shoulder! MUST STOP!

Last edited:

Tclem

Can't buy love. Buy wood instead
Reaction score
First name
Tony