Question Of The Week... (2022 week 46)

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Not even going to hazard a count of things waiting to be made into something! Still have most of the stuff I have traded for on woodbarter hanging round. Been toying with the idea of making small finger tops out of some of the hybrid off cuts. Made a couple trial tops from scrap lying in the floor.

JonathanH

Reaction score
First name
Jonathan
How ever many I'm actually working on plus one.

I started a bedside table as an anniversary gift to my wife about 15 years ago. Some beautiful quilted maple from @Mike1950 for the top, some very nice tight curly maple boards for the aprons and drawer front. It was early days, and I thought I knew the limits of my skills, so I bought duplicate parts in poplar for me to make my mistakes and learn what I was about to do without screwing up the good stuff.

I was right about the limits of my skills at the time, what I grossly overestimated was the limit of my attention span. Got as far as tapering the practice-run legs, then got distracted - didn't even get as far as cutting a mortise in any of them. They (and the rest of the boards) are still sitting on the shelf waiting. I did glue up the top though - maybe I'll cut it to final size and smooth it in time for our next anniversary.
It would be quite a pleasant surprise to provide the finished piece for the next important event. Its going to be a pretty piece using all of the skills that you have acquired over the years.