ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Can anyone see what the finished project looks like in their head before it's made? Or do you just wing it, and hope for the best?

:drinks:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
**Rules**
There is no minimum post requirement,
primates, woodticks, wood spinners, and leprechauns are welcome to post an answer.
I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.

David Hill

I collect & use Texas woods---but prefer Mesquite.
Reaction score
Cuero, Texas--Not far from the Third Coast
First name
David
It depends—
If it’s a construction project, then yes! I tend to overthink them.
If it’s a turning, then not so much. I have a general idea of shape, but the wood “directs” it. I just take off what doesn’t belong.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I think I always start with a vision in my head, sometimes it ends that way and so times it doesn't. Turning is the exception to that, I let the wood speak to me and become what it wants to be.

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
I usually have a picture in my head. The wood doesn't always agree with my picture when turning punky or rootball pieces especially.
in building furniture or full construction builds, yes, I have a picture and normally get there at the end. Been building since teens so that is second nature to me to see the shape, weight distribution, support points etc.
I will often doodle shapes for furnishings using pieces and parts I have at hand. Probably wasted a notebook worth of scrap paper for winter evening entertainment. Can hardly build some of it without a shop area...

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Yep, I can vision what she sees, I better, I am married and if it does not, back to the shop... But we are good at mind melt. Our visions are almost always on same path before I start cutting...

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Insofar as possible, I plan & foresee the final product. But that doesn’t mean I don’t make detours if something doesn’t look right in the construction phase. I’m usually not opposed to do-overs when my perfectionism kicks in. This mindset holds pretty much for flatwork, but as for turning, I am more open to allowing the wood have a voice in the final shape, size, etc. Chuck

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
I nearly always have a pretty solid picture in my head of what the finished project should look like and rarely start a project until I do. I'll draw out the design, check dimensions, calculate wood needed, etc. The design and planning phase is directly proportional to the size and complexity of the project. I even think through the production steps and sequence, joints, glue up sequence, etc. Guess that's the engineer in me. Doesn't always turn out that way, which combined with my being a bit of a perfectionist, can be frustrating.

Last edited:

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
I have a vision. My biggest problem is my skills don’t live up to the vision and I have to adjust. Then go back and try again if I have a similar turning block. I have collected a few nice pieces of wood but haven’t attempted turning them yet because of this. Getting there though.

Bigdrowdy1

Reaction score
First name
Rodney
I have a idea and kinda figure out the direction needed to get there. Most the time I get loss on side streets or make a right cut when it should have went left. I have a bunch of dead ends laying around the shop though. Not complete failures just haven’t determined how they will finish up being.