ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
What is better for tool storage/hanging? French cleats or pegboard? What do you use, and do you like it?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
**Rules**
There is no minimum post requirement,
primates, woodticks, wood spinners, and leprechauns are welcome to post an answer.
And of course the :old: and the doc too....

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Right now I just use pegboard, so easy to rearrange and quick.
But I also have a hanging storage bin thingy for hardware. Kind of a reverse French cleat. Gravity holds them in place.
20161218_131439_001.jpg

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I like cupboards, shelfs and drawers . only thing I have hanging are my chargers and antlers. and wide short in height drawers work best. Like those in bench. they only allow one or 2 tools in each slot. so this does not allow the shop slob to cram so much stuff in there you have to empty to find anything.... but then there are all the flat surfaces in shop- will will not discuss that organization.....:scare3::shok:

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
I like French cleats but have pegboard now. Like David, most of my storage is flat surfaces unfortunately.

Lou Currier

Reaction score
First name
Lou
What is better for tool storage/hanging? French cleats or pegboard? What do you use, and do you like it?

**Rules**
primates, woodticks, wood spinners, and leprechauns are welcome to post an answer.
I use both and prefer the peg board because the hangers are cheaper that the cleat wall hangers.

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
I really wanted to do French cleats in the new shop. But I didn’t have a blank wall the way I moved in so peg board it to is. I have used them for a long time and would have even with a French cleat system, but for now it is all peg boards.

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
I had French cleats in my previous shop. Liked it in theory, but didn't make full use of it. I think the advantage of that is being able to rearrange where things are. Have never liked peg board - it just looks ugly and the hangers you can get have never really served my need. I intended to do a French cleat wall when setting up the new shop here, but realized that it's not quite the organizational method for me, plus didn't really have a place for it.

I really like cabinets and drawers. I do have some things hanging on the walls, but not a whole lot.

JonathanH

Reaction score
First name
Jonathan
French cleats all around the garage. There are several rows of shelves positioned on the cleats. As are various hangers for tools / cords / TV / car parts / etc.

20220410_164450.jpg

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
French cleats all around the garage. There are several rows of shelves positioned on the cleats. As are various hangers for tools / cords / TV / car parts / etc.

View attachment 237641

Did you do the restoration on that Craftsman drill press? If so, nice work; that is a very well done restoration. That Delta Homecraft bandsaw looks to be possibly original paint, but in great shape? I love restoring these vintage, American made machines about as much as I love woodworking.

Jonkou

Reaction score
First name
John
For shop stuff cupboards, shelves and drawers work for me too… everything has a place and everything in its place makes for an efficient work flow and keeps it clean.

5D7A66EE-E52C-4826-85DB-9205046C444F.jpeg 1FCFF75D-3316-47FC-BF25-F6BAE2B52FFC.jpeg 5B114567-FF82-4D63-92E8-DDAEFAAEBE32.jpeg E8C20CB4-6ADF-4EE9-9D48-C709DF086943.jpeg 41F0DF09-DED2-4DDF-9C83-BCDC344D72F4.jpeg
8217E5BC-E11A-4709-B5EE-A79AB89FC98D.jpeg

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
I will soon be setting up my workshop, so I don’t have anything set up yet. There will be shelving, for sure. Then I will probably build a couple of mobile cart units. I do have a small pegboard in what will be my finishing room, off the garage. Chuck

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Used to have both, but had to give them both up and go with shelving units and rolling cabinets and stacks on top of stacks!

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
I’m going with French cleats when I’m done with drywall. You can hang shelves and cabinets from French cleats, but not on peg board.

JonLanier

Reaction score
First name
Jon

**Rules**
I use mostly pegboards. What you put on there can be easily re-arranged. I'm dyslexic and need everything I have out in the open so I can see I have it. I've been known to go out and buy another one because it was in a drawer or cabinet.

0000001f.jpg

0000001o.jpg

JonathanH

Reaction score
First name
Jonathan
Did you do the restoration on that Craftsman drill press? If so, nice work; that is a very well done restoration. That Delta Homecraft bandsaw looks to be possibly original paint, but in great shape? I love restoring these vintage, American made machines about as much as I love woodworking.
Yes, the 150 was in very good condition but did get a complete restoration. Thanks, it is a joy to use. Vintage is about 1966. It was originally the dark olive gray color that was standard for the period. I liked the look of the copper colored 150's just a couple of years earlier so the repaint was in copper. Not original but the color looks good in the shop.

I'm also fond of restoration of American Iron in the shop. The little Delta Homecraft 10" was a great little saw. It cut everything that I ever tried to cut and never bogged down. It needed was a little cleanup, upper wheel bearings, and guide bearings. There were several layers of gray paint on it so not original paint but looked very similar. This was sold to make space in the shop after the newer 14" Delta was purchased.

There is a storage unit full of vintage American iron each waiting their turn at restoration. Some will find their way to new owners as they no longer fit my shop needs, such as the Craftsman lathe's and Craftsman (Walker-Turner) band saw. This habit is every bit as addicting as woodworking, and just as costly. The difference is that in the end you get a cool piece of machinery to work with in the shop.

@Sprung

Last edited: