ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Have you ever worked on a woodworking project that required you to incorporate elements of someone's cultural heritage?
If so, how did you infuse them into your design?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:drinks:

**Rules**
There is no minimum post requirement,
primates, woodticks, wood spinners, and leprechauns are welcome to post an answer.
Have you ever considered piracy? You'd make a wonderful Dread Pirate Roberts....

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
I have not. I have considered off and on to make a large hanging box to display my wife's Mom's wedding kimono. But the only cultural thing would be the kimono, the display would just be a big hanging box with a plexiglas front. But we don't have a wall large enough to hang it on.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
The basket illusion pieces I've made are definitely incorporating someone's cultural heritage, but I've not made any for those whose cultural heritage/art/symbolism I'm using.

When I do make these pieces, I'm always careful to include as full attribution as possible. In most cases that has only been to specific Nation/tribe. A few I've made were using design elements from specific artist's pieces and I've included the name where known on the inscription.

There are some out "there" that call this cultural appropriation, and I call BS on all those people. Getting close to politics, so I'll stop with that.

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
The basket illusion pieces I've made are definitely incorporating someone's cultural heritage, but I've not made any for those whose cultural heritage/art/symbolism I'm using.

When I do make these pieces, I'm always careful to include as full attribution as possible. In most cases that has only been to specific Nation/tribe. A few I've made were using design elements from specific artist's pieces and I've included the name where known on the inscription.

There are some out "there" that call this cultural appropriation, and I call BS on all those people. Getting close to politics, so I'll stop with that.
Tim @trc65 , there is a difference between cultural appreciation and cultural appropriation. What you do IMHO is entirely cultural appreciation, paying homage and respect to it’s rightful cultural heritage and giving credit where credit is due in your post.

Last edited:

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Jon ( @Jonkou ) has made some beautiful umekes, which are ceremonial Hawaiian poi cups. And Don and his apprentice make those gorgeous paddles based on traditional Hawaiian design.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike

Tim @trc65 , there is a difference between cultural appreciation and cultural appropriation. What you do IMHO is entirely cultural appreciation, paying homage and respect to it’s rightful cultural heritage and giving credit where credit is due in your post.
just another reason to be mad and to whine about someone else's efforts. life is too short for stupid and our world has become full of it.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I did not make it but one Christmas I traded for 5 bedons. Cajun box to carry ducks in is what I was told. They were a hit. Kathie has 2 of them.

20240610_090651.jpg

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
just another reason to be mad and to whine about someone else's efforts. life is too short for stupid and our world has become full of it.
Tim’s @trc65 work is beyond effort- max effort in my book with him pouring his heart, love and soul to engage with capturing the whole essence of what he has in his hands at the moment. True dedication to the art form for art sakes- I find that rare in my book. Don’t get me wrong there is a whole mess of you here who dictates their own “art truth” and I find it a shame that all the “art form” goodness that lives in the forum will not rightfully get the attention it truly deserves for the whole wide world to appreciate. I was at the museum the other day and I heard someone talking out loud saying, “ I would love to have that in my collection”. Art is never meant to be in-prisoned in someone’s domain. You can be the steward of it, but sooner or later you have to let go of the leash and have others enjoy it and a broader audience enjoy the life of it.

Those who will argue with what he (or anybody) is presenting or representing to the world and don’t have anything good to say, it is just pure “jealousy” (imho) or have some kind of mo that takes out the relevance of what is actually being portrayed.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Tim’s @trc65 work is beyond effort- max effort in my book with him pouring his heart, love and soul to engage with capturing the whole essence of what he has in his hands at the moment. True dedication to the art form for art sakes- I find that rare in my book. Don’t get me wrong there is a whole mess of you here who dictates their own “art truth” and I find it a shame that all the “art form” goodness that lives in the forum will not rightfully get the attention it truly deserves for the whole wide world to appreciate. I was at the museum the other day and I heard someone talking out loud saying, “ I would love to have that in my collection”. Art is never meant to be in-prisoned in someone’s domain. You can be the steward of it, but sooner or later you have to let go of the leash and have others enjoy it and a broader audience enjoy the life of it.

Those who will argue with what he (or anybody) is presenting or representing to the world and don’t have anything good to say, it is just pure “jealousy” (imho) or have some kind of mo that takes out the relevance of what is actually being portrayed.
We agree.

Jonkou

Reaction score
First name
John
Jon ( @Jonkou ) has made some beautiful umekes, which are ceremonial Hawaiian poi cups.
Thanks Doug, it’s a matter of perspective. Lived in Hawaii half my life, it’s where I learned how to turn and my wife is half Hawaiian so it is my adopted culture. The Umeke’s are not my design and each one I make is done to the best of my ability as a deliberate tribute to the Hawaiian culture and the Ancient Craftsmen that made them. That said, there is a very strong influence of the calabash form in most of My designs, featuring round bottoms, flowing curves and showing off the attributes of the wood.

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
In Samoa when we lived there, the kava ceremony was a special treat when visitors came to a village. I hope I am remembering this correctly, but there was only one or two people who were allowed to prepare the kava - I think it was the high chief's daughter or maybe a designated princess in the village. She was the only one who handled the large kava bowl and strained the water through the pounded kava root. I think she served the kava in half coconut shells starting with the high chief, then the highest ranking male visitor (rank could be age, whoever was leading the group of visitors, etc), then the second chief, etc. I know kids weren't served kava and I don't think women drank kava either, but I could be wrong, I was only in 5th and 6th grade then. The kava bowl was a very protected thing, made from monkey pod and usually about 20 - 24" diameter, 6-8"deep and it stood on many legs that surrounded the outer perimeter.

Last edited:

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
My FIL started flights to the islands when continental airlines got the route. He had lots of stories and got many gifts from natives. I will add pictures here later today.

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
My FIL started flights to the islands when continental airlines got the route. He had lots of stories and got many gifts from natives. I will add pictures here later today.
I remember we flew Pan American the first time to Samoa and Braniff the other times. Neither are still in operation.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Dave island hopped for a couple decades. Talked of natives a lot. They wrote about him. He connected them to outside world . Natives gave him gifts. Last pic is a retirement gift. His story board. Have a couple lamps downstairs. Need appropriate shades.

20240612_081524.jpg

20240612_081530.jpg

20240612_081607.jpg

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
Dave island hopped for a couple decades. Talked of natives a lot. They wrote about him. He connected them to outside world . Natives gave him gifts. Last pic is a retirement gift. His story board. Have a couple lamps downstairs. Need appropriate shades.

View attachment 258289

View attachment 258290

View attachment 258291
Amazing @Mike1950! That panel low relief carving is truly an epic narrative and honorable tribute. That is the stuff that is memorable, meaningful and to be stewards of it is good stuff. I hope one day it makes it to a rightful museum to a proper exhibit display.