Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

question on removing lacquer

Discussion in 'The Charles Neil Finishing Forum' started by bobhasen, Jan 3, 2016.

1. bobhasen

bobhasen Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Bob
    I finished one of my first bowls in lacquer but the quality of the bowl was not that great and the finish job poor also. What is the best way to remove cured lacquer.
    Thanks,

2. Woodman

Woodman Kindling Maker Full Member

First name:
    Kevin
  3. Schroedc

Schroedc Trying to kick a nasy sawdust habbit.... Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Colin
    I use Lacquer thinner to remove Lacquer, stinks and you want to be well ventilated. You will probably get some soaking into the pores of the wood so when you sand it back out don't get too aggressive so it doesn't heat up and smear. Makes a pretty good sanding sealer in a case like this. You'll probably need to stick with a Urethane or Lacquer finish when you redo it as I've run into issues in the past with things like Danish oil not wanting to penetrate in any areas that might have had some Lacquer soak in...

4. bobhasen

First name:
    Bob
    Thank you

5. Charles Neil

Charles Neil Member Full Member

First name:
    Charles
    I agree, a chemical stripper is the best, it seems to do a more through job, and Lacquer dissolves pretty easily , or if it can go back on the lathe , just sand it off .

6. bobhasen

First name:
    Bob
    Thanks, unfortunately putting back on the lathe won't work, not enough material for the amount of distortion from drying

Current Time: 8:44 AM