1. To all members, we have made some changes to the rules. We encourage you to take a moment and re-acquaint yourself with the rules.

Rasp Choices

Discussion in 'Hand Tools' started by PeteStaehling, Dec 5, 2019.

1. PeteStaehling

PeteStaehling Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Pete
    I am adding a few rasps to my list for Santa. I have been thinking that the Narex, but not the $$$ hand cut might be the right bang for the buck for my usage. Right now I am thinking of asking for a fine 8" rat tail and a fine 8" rectangular. I already have the fine half round so the 3 piece set is not an option. I figure I might add the coarse ones later either one at a time or as a set. I am curious what other folks thoughts are on rasp choices.

2. Tony

Tony Hardwood Enthusiast Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Tony
  3. barry richardson

barry richardson Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Barry
    I use rasps often with the sculpture work I do, but I'm not that particular about the brand. I have an Auriou high dollar cabinet makers rasp, and have some of the cheapest from Amazon;[​IMG]
    like these, I will probably never buy an expensive one again, as the ones above do a fine job at a fraction of the price. For fine rasping, I like medium cut metal files. I prefer half-round pointed tips in all rasps/files, the most versatile IMO. I don't have any experience with Narex though....

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  4. Brink

Brink There's nothing to see here Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Brink
    the only rasps I have are these cheapos I get at the flea market.

8CF15C10-77DB-45B0-8181-BE0DF260E051.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  5. sprucegum

sprucegum Member Full Member

First name:
    Dave
    Rasps are handy tools, I don't own anything except some cheapies and a couple of farriers rasps. For fast stock removal you cant beat a plain old surform half round very sharp and the blade is replicable.
    The one I have is a 10 inch that came with a flat blade which is the only way I have ever seen them sold I had to purchase the half round separate . The whole thing can be had for less than $25. I used them quite a bit when I was into carving rifle stocks . I could rough out a sporter stock with the half round in a couple hours.

• Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
Current Time: 4:55 AM