Ghastly grim and ancient Raven wandering from the Nightly shore—
Tell me what thy lordly name is on the Night’s Plutonian shore!”
Quoth the Raven “Nevermore.”
Edgar Allen Poe? And all these years I thought that was Vincent Price. :ponder:

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
They also pose for photos with kids. When our girls were 8 and 11, we visited the Tower and the girls were blown away by the beefeaters and their uniforms. Several of them posed with our girls. Really nice men. The ravens live a great life in the Tower and have no desire to leave it seems.

ravens-in-tower-of-london.png

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Edgar Allen Poe:

"Then this ebony bird beguiling my sad fancy into smiling,
By the grave and stern decorum of the countenance it wore,
“Though thy crest be shorn and shaven, thou,” I said, “art sure no craven,
Ghastly grim and ancient Raven wandering from the Nightly shore—
Tell me what thy lordly name is on the Night’s Plutonian shore!”
Quoth the Raven “Nevermore.”
Local legend says the Poe wrote that poem while staying at the Deer Park Tavern in Newark, DE, about five miles from our house. Not sure if that is true but it is a fact that he often stayed there.

Mike Hill

The Bard of Barbecue
Reaction score
First name
Mike
First Disclaimer- I make no claim that ANY of my Eng Lit teachers liked me publicly - maybe secretly - but they did not dare publicly!

I told one that like there was no crying in baseball, there was no poetry in football!

Over the years I have learned to appreciate SOME poetry - I guess mainly because of the skill involved. As a means to communicate - it sucks. With that said, The Raven caught my eye - interestingly enough I could care less about the "story" - h. e. double hockey sticks it is essentially a love story too ooey-gooey. What I liked was the structure. But then again, at that time in my life, poetry was just a tool. When I wanted to win a girl's heart - punch out a poem, and they fell for it. One girl I was so smitten by, I carved her a copy of Robert Indiana's LOVE sculpture out of redwood AND a whittled interlinked hearts out of maple. It worked for a while.

Here is what Poe said about the structure of the poem: If you can follow it, I bow down to you! I'm better at picking my nose than understanding the mysteries of poetic structure.

Poe had specific intentions regarding the metrical structure or prosody of the poem. In “The Philosophy of Composition,” he defines his calculated approach for ingenious versification:

Of course, I pretend to no originality in either the rhythm or metre of the “Raven.” The former is trochaic—the latter is octameter acatalectic, alternating with heptameter catalectic repeated in the refrain of the fifth verse, and terminating with tetrameter catalectic. Less pedantically the feet employed throughout (trochees) consist of a long syllable followed by a short: the first line of the stanza consists of eight of these feet—the second of seven and a half (in effect two-thirds)—the third of eight—the fourth of seven and a half—the fifth the same—the sixth three and a half.
Second Disclaimer - I think the raven carving is pretty cool!

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
First Disclaimer- I make no claim that ANY of my Eng Lit teachers liked me publicly - maybe secretly - but they did not dare publicly!

I told one that like there was no crying in baseball, there was no poetry in football!

Over the years I have learned to appreciate SOME poetry - I guess mainly because of the skill involved. As a means to communicate - it sucks. With that said, The Raven caught my eye - interestingly enough I could care less about the "story" - h. e. double hockey sticks it is essentially a love story too ooey-gooey. What I liked was the structure. But then again, at that time in my life, poetry was just a tool. When I wanted to win a girl's heart - punch out a poem, and they fell for it. One girl I was so smitten by, I carved her a copy of Robert Indiana's LOVE sculpture out of redwood AND a whittled interlinked hearts out of maple. It worked for a while.

Here is what Poe said about the structure of the poem: If you can follow it, I bow down to you! I'm better at picking my nose than understanding the mysteries of poetic structure.

Poe had specific intentions regarding the metrical structure or prosody of the poem. In “The Philosophy of Composition,” he defines his calculated approach for ingenious versification:

Second Disclaimer - I think the raven carving is pretty cool!
Dang, Mike, that's way too heady for me. But it did say something about how hard up you were to get girls.