Raven

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Another one of my quirky creature carvings, the bird is carved from butternut from @Allen Tomaszek and the base is black locust, nice and heavy for ballast. had to make the feet out of epoxy putty on wire frames, finish is flat black paint rubbed out with steel wool. glass marble in it's mouth as a prop ha ha... body of the bird is about a foot long...
raven.jpg

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Love it!

Are you by chance a Stephen King Fan? I won't say anymore, if you are, you know what I'm referencing, if not, just my crooked imagination at work.

Last edited:

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
That’s fantastic! Love the bird and the way you’ve staged it. I get the sense that the bird could roll off of the ball, and that potential movement gives it additional interest for me.

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Love it!

Are you by chance a Stephen King Fan? I won't say anymore, if you are, you know what I'm referencing, if not, just my crooked imagination at work.
I know he used ravens on the cover of some of his books and in some of his stories.... but I got inspired for this one when I binged on Game of Thrones a couple of years back...

cabomhn

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Another one of my quirky creature carvings, the bird is carved from butternut from @Allen Tomaszek and the base is black locust, nice and heavy for ballast. had to make the feet out of epoxy putty on wire frames, finish is flat black paint rubbed out with steel wool. glass marble in it's mouth as a prop ha ha... body of the bird is about a foot long...
View attachment 192741

Really cool! Colors together look really neat as well.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Love it!

I would name it Randall Flagg!

Spectacular work as usual Barry! Doc said what was going through my head much better than I would have, just too cool for words!

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
Legend of the ravens at the Tower of London.

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Legend of the ravens at the Tower of London.

That's pretty cool, I wasn't aware of that history. I watched them a lot last time we went to to Grand Canyon village, a lot of them there and they are pretty tame, being around so many people, lots of fun to watch...

Last edited:

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Edgar Allen Poe:

"Then this ebony bird beguiling my sad fancy into smiling,
By the grave and stern decorum of the countenance it wore,
“Though thy crest be shorn and shaven, thou,” I said, “art sure no craven,
Ghastly grim and ancient Raven wandering from the Nightly shore—
Tell me what thy lordly name is on the Night’s Plutonian shore!”
Quoth the Raven “Nevermore.”

ScoutDog

Reaction score
First name
JB
Barry: That is beautiful! Rare talent on display. Thank you for sharing!

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
That's pretty cool, I wasn't aware of that history. I watched them a lot last time we went to to Grand Canyon village, a lot of them there and they are pretty tame, being around so many people, lots of fun to watch...

Wood Barter - so much more than just making sawdust. Educational, culture, art - get it all at Wood Barter.

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
The guys in the fancy duds are actually called Yeoman Warders. They are retired from the armed forces of the British Commonwealth, must have held the rank of Warrant Officer, served 22 years and hold the Long Service and Good Conduct Medal. Besides their ceremonial duty as guards of the Crown Jewels at the Tower of London and tending to the ravens, they are tour guides and pose for gin bottle labels.

Last edited: