Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Re-finishing a S/S/S kit build

Discussion in 'Instrument Makers' started by SubVet10, Jun 3, 2018.

1. SubVet10

SubVet10 Craftsman; gearhead, twidget, sci-fi nerd Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Brandon
    I originally wanted to do a super sparkly emerald green paint job (bass boat sparkly) but didn't feel like the $40/ pint just for the glitter.

So, I dipped it instead. Naturally, in Pacific NW colors.

Now I want to work on the body more and found a good rattle can paint at one my better half's trip to the fabric store.
    It is very unbalanced weight-wise in the neck, so I am looking into shaving a few mils of the neck, too.

Dip 1 jpg.jpg

IMG_20130919_184046_182.jpg

Glitter neck.jpg

• Way Cool Way Cool x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • EyeCandy! EyeCandy! x 1
  2. Nature Man

Nature Man Member Full Member

First name:
    Chuck
    You must be an expert dipper to get the effect you did! Definitely over the top cool! Chuck

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. SubVet10

First name:
    Brandon
    Perhaps, like most everything I must have watched a dozen different vids on it.

4. SubVet10

First name:
    Brandon
    Well, I dorked it up. It took 7 heavy coats of shellac to cover the sparkles. It polished up beautifully at 400, 600 and 1500 grit. I found out I should have put another few coats of shellac down before putting the polish wheel to it. Ugh.

• Sincere Sincere x 2
  5. Arn213

Arn213 craM de la craM # RipJack City! Full Member

First name:
    Arn
    Brandon, don’t shave more off the neck yet as you mentioned it is “unbalanced weight”. You can almost remove later and you don’t want to make a mistake as you can’t add later on. Keep in mind you should be able to offset the “neck dive” if that is what you meant as there are still components to add to the guitar body to weigh it down some- pickups/pick guard, pots/electronics, vibrato bridge components/arm/springs/claw, input jack, strap buttons, screws, etc. There is not much components to add to the neck: fretwire, nutt, tuner machine assembly, string tree.

What is the weight of the body now without the components I mentioned above and what is the weight of the neck without the components above?

6. SubVet10

First name:
    Brandon
    Current progress: need more paint!

20180831_193730.jpg

20180831_193828.jpg

20180902_124720.jpg

20180902_124724.jpg

20180902_124732.jpg

7. SubVet10

First name:
    Brandon
    Lost of blemishes but oh well. My son asked to help assemble and even went and got his tools.

Pickups - Dragon Fire Crusader. All 5.5KOhm
    Pickguard - Dragon Fire

First song played was Already Gone - Eagles.

Lessons Learned:
    - Rattle can paint is one time use
    - Strats are not plug and play (Pickup and first fret relief set to 1.6 mm )
    - Should have spent the money and got the good "bass boat" paint

040219 M.jpg

1379634014345.jpg

body.jpg

Clear.jpg

Head.jpg

neck.jpg

• Way Cool Way Cool x 2
  8. SubVet10

First name:
    Brandon
    I figured it out. I added more tremelo springs; set the string height, bridge height & distance. All new things to me.

Current Time: 2:37 AM