Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.
  1. JR Custom Calls

JR Custom Calls Gobble Gobble Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Jonathan
    Here's a sign I recently made for a customer. Getting ready to pack up the shop, so I'll be out of commission for a couple weeks while we transition over to the new place. Figured I'd post something to show I haven't been a slacker. Had about 140 Christmas orders that I've been feverishly working on. Got 3 left to complete and I'll be done. Shew.

This one is 24x24 pine. Stained, then routed. Painted the background green and the engraved text black, but didn't take a pic. Straight off the CNC in this pic, so I had some sanding to do before I painted... but not a whole lot. Up cut bits are the only way to go. I'll do first pass with a down cut, then switch to an up cut for a .05" finish pass.

water.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 4
    • EyeCandy! EyeCandy! x 1
  2. Nature Man

Nature Man Member Full Member

First name:
    Chuck
    Awesome! Love to see your operation if I lived closer. You turn out such quality signs. Chuck

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. gman2431

gman2431 Member Full Member

First name:
    cody
    Nice Christmas orders you got! Ever thought about compression bits so you are running an up and down at the same time?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. JR Custom Calls

First name:
    Jonathan
    I'm actually considering purchasing one for my MDF cut outs... I just don't know if my machine will plow through 3/8" MDF in one pass. I only have a 3hp spindle and 420oz in motors.

For these, a compression wouldn't work. We're talking about a pocket that's .15" deep, and I've yet to see a compression bit that would cut both directions in that small of an area.

5. gman2431

gman2431 Member Full Member

First name:
    cody
    Yea going that shallow wouldn't work for sure. The mortise compression bits have about an .125 up before you hit the down and it would land in a wonky area of the hit is my guess. A little deeper tho and you would have both working for ya. Not sure about the 3 horse motor. All the stuff I've ran have 15hp and up motors.

• Like Like x 1
  6. JR Custom Calls

First name:
    Jonathan
    Here's one I cut out this evening. Just waiting on everything to dry before I cut it on out and get it finished up. And for the record, I have permission to use all the logos. The recipient owns a dealership, is a mason, and is on the board of directors for the KHSAA. It's not done, but I took a pic to send to customer and figured I'd post it... otherwise, I'll never see it again, as it'll be delivered in the morning.

ram sign.jpg

• Way Cool Way Cool x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. JR Custom Calls

First name:
    Jonathan
    Actually took a picture of it finished while waiting to meet her this morning haha. She's an art teacher at a local school, and he owns a ram dealership. She wanted it to hang in his barn with some other memorabilia that he has. Wanted it to look kind of rustic. She was over the moon happy with it. Love it when I get that reaction.

ram sign.jpg

• Like Like x 1
Current Time: 8:53 AM