Reel seat inserts green osage

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Paul sent me some green osage that I thought might make some cool reel seat inserts. Here's two I finished so far. I don't have a skeleton to slip on there so you can see what they will look like in an actual reel seat. But trust me, they look awesome. When you turn them in the light, the colors change from black to green to gold fleck...really amazing. Photos can't capture that aspect. Must be the engrained mineral crystals or something. I wish I had some fly rods to build, I'd make Paul's green osage famous.

green osage dark.jpg

green osage grain bands.jpg

Last edited:

Mike Hill

The Bard of Barbecue
Reaction score
First name
Mike
As many fly rods I have....errrrr.....seen......don't want the wife to know. I don't think I have ever seen an osage reel seat. I've got some rods to build - hmmmm you willing to part with one?

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
As many fly rods I have....errrrr.....seen......don't want the wife to know. I don't think I have ever seen an osage reel seat. I've got some rods to build - hmmmm you willing to part with one?
Mike - There's no such thing as too many fly rods. Sure, happy to get you one. I had to repair my lathe (the bushings were essentially gone on one set of pulleys) but it's good to go. Do you know what reel seat skeleton you want to use or do you want me to get one that i can match to when I turn the insert? I have to order some stuff from my buddy in Florida anyway so I can get a skeleton. I can also turn it round and then route a fingernail groove which allows for the use of two rings that slip over the reel foot - which a lot of people prefer on lighter weight rods. I will be out of town for a few days but if you aren't in a hurry, I will stabilize the other blanks Paul sent and turn them and you can choose which ever one you want. Maybe this will help you...here's the two I have turned with a skeleton on them. I plan to use at least one of these, and a buddy asked me to help him build a rod too so you'd be behind him in selecting an insert. If you're not in a hurry, I'll turn the other blanks and post photos in a week or two.

green osage dark with skeleton.jpg

green osage stripes with skeleton.jpg

Last edited:

Mike Hill

The Bard of Barbecue
Reaction score
First name
Mike
One particularly fine blank I have is on a Payne taper - (very dense power fibers). Will probably fork out the $$ to go with a Bellinger down locking - will likely put a two-toned burl on it though. Another good blank also with a Payne taper I want to put one of Bellinger's Payne style up-locking. Others have not even thought much about except for some really featherlight and short blanks will probably do a ring on cork for the lightest one and ring on wood insert on others. Guess I would want the osage insert to be used on the Bellinger Payne style up-locking. That's too much thinking for the morning! Also have a blue collar Leonard to restore - will likely need a new seat, but not sure yet.

BTW - absolutely no hurry - have a Marblehead RC pond sailer to do before I touch any rods.

Last edited:

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Ooooohhh, I didn't realize you're talking bamboo. Personally for me, I like the simplicity and light weight of two slip rings on bamboo. It just feels right to me. I don't have any Bellinger reel seats (I might have a Bellinger insert I got years ago at the Denver Fly Tackle Dealer Show) but no guarantee the dimensions are the same as yours. I'll stabilize and turn the other osage blanks down to the major OD but do any final shaping until we figure it out. I'll post pics when they're done and you can decide then. You might have to either send me the dimensions of your reel seat skeleton or send me the skeleton and I'll fit the insert to it and send it all back to you. Or I can get a Bellinger skeleton, do the final fit and then send the whole thing to you. Bellinger downlocking ring

Mike Hill

The Bard of Barbecue
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I fish with anything - partial to bamboo, but regularly fish with a Helios (superfast and really punches thru wind) and various glass rods - sentimental - what I grew up with and like the action. I think I have something like 10 cane rods that need restoration, probably 6 cane blanks to build rods, and probably 3 glass blanks to build and at least 2 glass rods to restore. The only thing about the two rings, is that the Male chicken-eyed slanted rings after mounting drives me slightly batty. However, that lightest short blank is gonna get rings. It cries out for my 2 5/8" Hardy Perfect. I'll get the Bellinger seat and send it to you. It ain't gonna be real soon. If I get it, then I'll have to build the rod - and I've got other things I've started. LOL Heck, about 10 years ago I bought or made all the stuff to build cane blanks - planing form, winder, cane, curing/heating oven, Lie-Nelson block planes, etc... but haven't built the first one.

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
@Mike Hill , I'm in the same boat. Bought 2 blanks at a fly fishing show probably more than 10 years ago (carbon fiber) and all the supplies and they are still sitting there. Wow, do you ever have a collection of rods!!! Do your read John Gierach by chance??? If you don't, you need to buy about 10 books of his. @DLJeffs , Doug, do the same thing; all 3 of us are addicts and John really pulls at my heart strings with his stories.

Now, i will return you to the woodworking forum you originally dialed into!

Mike Hill

The Bard of Barbecue
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I think the only 2 of his books that I've read are "Fishing Small Streams" and "Good Flies". Have some others, just haven't taken the time to break them open. At one of the local fly shops, we've got a foot locker of books that we all contribute to and anybody can read any of them they want. Sorta our own little fly fishing library. Haven't put my "good" and old ones in there though (read expensive here).

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
I think the only 2 of his books that I've read are "Fishing Small Streams" and "Good Flies". Have some others, just haven't taken the time to break them open. At one of the local fly shops, we've got a foot locker of books that we all contribute to and anybody can read any of them they want. Sorta our own little fly fishing library. Haven't put my "good" and old ones in there though (read expensive here).
you need to read one of his "story" books; the antics he lands in, talking about his bamboo collection, etc is really great.

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Mike - no worries, when ever you get around to it. I'll get those other osage blanks ready and post photos and if you see one that brings you to the surface we'll do it. I've watched a couple friends build bamboo and am always impressed but it's not something I'd be interested enough to make the kind of investment needed. There's a shop just south of here that has all of HL Leonard's old original equipment. Really cool old history. The guy who owns the shop wants to sell it but he's looking for someone who will honor the history and keep it going. He has bamboo and Spanish cedar to make rods for the next 30 years.

Garry - I like Gierach but after a few his books they all start to sound alike. Check out E. Donnall Thomas; David Ames; and James Babb. I want to read Monte Burke's new book on tarpon fishing.

Mike Hill

The Bard of Barbecue
Reaction score
First name
Mike
H. E, Double Hockey sticks about reading a book about tarpon fishing - I want to go!! Used to catch baby tarpon as just a lad - way back before they left the Texas Gulf Coast - Now they are back - haven't had a chance. Went to Marco Island Florida in spring of last year for business. Hoping that they had started fishing, but still too cold and didn't get a chance to throw at any - threw at snook and reds instead and had fun. But no Silver! Had booked for this year, but the stupid virus hit.

Man, Iff'n I was a few years younger, I might take a stab at that Leonard equipment. Hmmm...let me talk to a couple of people.

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
I mentioned in another post I got my lathe fixed so I worked on a couple reel seat inserts this afternoon. Probably took a year off my life from breathing smoke in the garage but I couldn't sit inside any more. I finished the third green osage insert I stabilized a month ago and also finished the curly maple insert I stabilized at the same time. They both came out nice. Can't quite capture all the figure on the maple in a photo but it will look good on a blond bamboo or a dark green rod. The osage continues to amaze me.

curly maple 2020.jpg

green osage lighter stripes 2020.jpg

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Finished up a couple more. And I had one catastrophic failure. It was a beautiful dark greenish black. Had maybe one more pass to take off .02 inch from the barrel and it fractured. There was an imperfection right at the shoulder. Bummer, I really liked the look of that one. Maybe I can salvage the remnant as a handle for something else.

green osage failure.jpg

orange osage more grain.jpg

orange osage.jpg

redwood fiddleback.jpg

unknown burl.jpg