Reeves Drive - Adjustable V Belt or Not?

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
Well, the time has finally come to replace the belt on my Jet 1442 VS lathe. The speed & torque die off when turning, and while cleaning & lubing it solves the problem it's gotten to a point where it happens again fairly soon. I've also used belt conditioner on it and, again, it helps for awhile. Good news is I can keep turning. Bad news is I'm putting off the inevitable.

Unfortunately, while I've never done it, changing the belt looks to be a pain in the ***. C clips, bearings, shafts, pulleys, set screws, etc., etc. After ordering the belt last night on Amazon, I thought why wouldn't an adjustable link V belt work? Slip it over, tighten it up, start turning?

I've never used an adjustable link v belt, so I thought I'd turn to the experts? The research I've done seems to indicate it's very easy to install, the lathe runs much smoother, and if / when it stretches you just take out a link. What's not to love?

Have any of you used one on Reeves drive? If so, how does it work? Why wouldn't I do it versus the several hours (most likely for me) of work just to put a normal belt on? Any other pros or cons I'm not thinking of?

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
Thought I'd bump this as I posted it earlier this morning. Thanks in advance!

Schroedc

Trying to kick a nasy sawdust habbit....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
I used them in a pinch on my John Deere 110, it got it home but long term the links seemed to want to roll up where they were hooked together due to the side pressure of the reeves drive.

Don Wood

Reaction score
First name
Don
I’ve worked on large Industrial Variable Speed Units and there was quite a bit of side pressure on the belts (spring tension) so the belts were pretty rigid side to side. I would be concerned about whether a cog link belt would be solid enough. I think you should go with the factory belt. I did look up your lathe on E Replacement parts and there were several pretty good step by step actual belt replacements that might help you.

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
Thanks everyone!

I went ahead with replacing the belt with a standard one. Of course, I got a note from Amazon saying there was an issue with the order and it was being cancelled. So now I've got a lathe with no belt and in a few pieces. At least I've got the disassembly done!