Respirator

NeilYeag

Reaction score
First name
Neil
Just got back from the Doc, third time in the last 10 months or so, another sinus infection going on. This one is a duzy. Said one more and I need some surgery. Ouch. I am really good with my dust mask in terms of wearing it when the machinery is switched on, my issue is that as soon as I turn it off, I tend to take the mask off and go on working. Obviously the airborn small stuff is the worst at least for me. So I have been thinking of one of those positive flow respirators. I see some reviews on the Trend Pro unit, but so many mixed reviews just don't know. Any of you with any experieince with these things?

Neil

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
Neil, hope things go well with getting the sniffer back in business.
I use 3M versaflow, it's a little more "stuff" to strap on and get going, but less weight on neck and head.
If you don't have an air cleaner, that would be a good investment and should reduce residual dust floaters a bit.
Here's a link from a couple years ago on topic, may be others as well.

Last edited:

NeilYeag

Reaction score
First name
Neil
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Tim. The versaflow seems ideal. But 1200 bucks, ouch that would severely cramp my knife blank hoarding habit. The Trend is in the price range I would like to be, but so many iffy reveiws.

I saw this one online from the UK just now, about $250 US. But when I ship it here, crazy VAT and Duty, maybe 40%. Oh well...

101809_xl.jpg

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
I just got over a nasty bout of bronchitis, I'm pretty sure it was aggravated, maybe even caused, by dust. So I too have fresh motivation to be more careful. Bought a couple more different styles of dust mask to try out. I'm really trying to avoid having to wear one of those "Mission to Mars Space Helmets" though...:sarcastic:

NeilYeag

Reaction score
First name
Neil
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I just got over a nasty bout of bronchitis, I'm pretty sure it was aggravated, maybe even caused, by dust. So I too have fresh motivation to be more careful. Bought a couple more different styles of dust mask to try out. I'm really trying to avoid having to wear one of those "Mission to Mars Space Helmets" though...:sarcastic:

I was too, but maybe have to do it. I am hoping (but not sure) that this thing with the air circulating will be a little less hot. Remember a cool day in my shop will be a comfortable +85F. And generally it will be in the mid 90'sF. I have a couple of different half face masks but as I said, I always pull them off pretty much after the machine stops whirring. So really not all that effective. Those ambient air cleaners are not available here. I do have a big ass fan directing air out one window, but marginally effective.

The problem here is, to buy this thing from the UK, shipping is $90.00, then the Royal Thai Government will whack me for another 50% duty and VAT at least. Now I am up to mid $400's at least. But think I got to do it..........