Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Right Finish for Olive Wood

Discussion in 'Sanding & Finishing - Woodturning' started by Mike Turner, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Mike Turner

Mike Turner Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Mike
    I have an olive wood flute to finish. It isnt completed yet but I put some finish on it to see how it would dry...I used wipe on poly and it doesnt feel like it normally does on other woods...maybe slow to dry or maybe because of the oil in the olive wood.Is there a better finish for something like this?

2. NYWoodturner

NYWoodturner Wood Spinner Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Scott
  3. Tony

Tony Hardwood Enthusiast Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Tony
  4. vegas urban lumber

vegas urban lumber Member Full Member

First name:
    trev
    let's see a picture

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. NYWoodturner

NYWoodturner Wood Spinner Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Scott
    My gut instinct is to wipe it with Acetone and apply the first coat of finish before the oil starts to work its way to the surface. Then build the finish fro there. I'd like to hear more informed opinions though

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. TimR

TimR Sawdust Engineer Full Member

First name:
    Tim
    Oily woods, I'd be inclined to buff and wax or buff only after taking down to 1000 grit or so.
    Wondering how something like Waterlox would be. Takes more coats to build but may be worth experimenting on a test piece. I've had issues in past with poly staying sticky on walnut, which isn't really an oily wood in my book, and resolved or lucked out by wiping down first with naphtha, which is something I've used on Blackwood to help with glue adhesion.

• Like Like x 1
  7. barry richardson

barry richardson Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Barry
    I work with a lot of olive, in my experience poly will dry on olive, but it might take a bit longer. Does it feel tacky still? Having said that, I usually use lacquer on olive, and there are never any issues with that.......

8. Mike1950

Mike1950 Founding Member Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Mike
    I have used true oil on a knife and wipe on poly. had no trouble with either. Well that is not quite true- the knife with the trueoil did terrible- One trip thru the dishwasher on High heat sorta separated the wood from the metal. Mother said that is what she does with her knifes, Me- But mother they do not have wooden handles. Mother- Well if I had a wooden one I would wash in dishwasher. Me- Hmmmmm :ponder:- scratch wooden handled knife off her christmas list....

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Mike Turner

Mike Turner Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Mike
    It doesnt feel tacky just not quite dry sort of..I think it will dry just take longer...I may let the first dry longer but on another one I may try some lacquer.Thanks guys!!!!

10. rocky1

rocky1 Creator of Shavings and Sawdust! Full Member

First name:
    Rocky
    Turned a few pens out of Olive that I sawed out of cutting boards, and encountered issues with CA finish on those. Finish actually started to pile up, then just sort of crumbled and fell apart in places. Wound up wiping that one down with DNA, (loosely read scrubbed it), sanded, then wiped some more, to remove the oil, then finished it.

After encountering issues with the first, I simply got in the habit of wiping them down before attempting to finish; haven't had any issues with anything turned since.

11. wombat

wombat Member Full Member

First name:
    walter
    I've never had a problem using a spray on poly...

Boomerang sp gum & olive -4.JPG

• EyeCandy! EyeCandy! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
Current Time: 4:45 PM