• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. The New Photo Gallery is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! The New Photo Gallery section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

Rogers pink ivory picture

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
As I can't figure out how to comment on the picture gallery and @RogerC deserved a big round of applause on his carving. Here ya go.:bravo::drool: . Nice carving and a decent skull as well. Have you thought about using a cue stick brass joint on pieces that you just HAD to use but they were a bit short? It would also be possible to use a double ended bolt and an insert nut epoxied into each end to allow a continuous flow on the carving.

With a thin contrasting wood washer? of course. you know I meant to say that myself.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
If you click on the file name (instead of the thumbnail) it will pop up another screen that allows for comments and reactions.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
If you click on the file name (instead of the thumbnail) it will pop up another screen that allows for comments and reactions.
I have the comments turned off. It's just a gallery to visually look at stuff. Not selling stuff which is why the comments are off and if they are able to comment, they get deleted.
Sorry peeps.

RogerC

Reaction score
First name
Roger
As I can't figure out how to comment on the picture gallery and @RogerC deserved a big round of applause on his carving. Here ya go.:bravo::drool: . Nice carving and a decent skull as well. Have you thought about using a cue stick brass joint on pieces that you just HAD to use but they were a bit short? It would also be possible to use a double ended bolt and an insert nut epoxied into each end to allow a continuous flow on the carving.

With a thin contrasting wood washer? of course. you know I meant to say that myself.
Thank you, and yes I've thought about using the screw together hardware in the past but this piece of wood was thin and the reason for the Ebony is to strengthen it due to cracks. As far as using those for other canes it wouldn't work because I almost always have some kind of sculptural lines and I know after I was finished it would turn just a little further and screw everything up. Plus I really don't like a straight horizontal line of different woods or grain, I completed a spalted cane recently out of two pieces and didn't like it really. But thanks for the suggestion I know there's gotta be ways of making this process quicker and I need them.

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Thank you, and yes I've thought about using the screw together hardware in the past but this piece of wood was thin and the reason for the Ebony is to strengthen it due to cracks. As far as using those for other canes it wouldn't work because I almost always have some kind of sculptural lines and I know after I was finished it would turn just a little further and screw everything up. Plus I really don't like a straight horizontal line of different woods or grain, I completed a spalted cane recently out of two pieces and didn't like it really. But thanks for the suggestion I know there's gotta be ways of making this process quicker and I need them.
In the case of too thin, celebrating the stiffener as in this cane, is awesome. In the case of too short you might, depending on grain patterns, be able to center bore for a long dowel first, then cut a long angle at 60 degrees or so at a point where the pattern closely aligns. Sorta like brink did with the bubinga chest when grain matching the panels. Then simply glue with titebond 3 for a waterproof joint.
Never done it but it is basically the joint on pool sticks on the butt end. By my eye. Anyway.