ROS Recommendations

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
I am in need of a new random orbital sander. Not that mine is no longer working - it is working well - but I am hoping to find something that operates with less vibration and is easier on the hands. I am not wanting to break the bank on this - Festool is out of the budget, unless one of y'all is going to buy it for me - but I am willing to spend some money on a good unit that will last and features considerably less vibration than a standard handheld ROS. Something that has handle placement to be able to use both hands on it would also be a bonus.

I have done some research, but have found much conflicting information as to whether or not any specific ROS will actually meet my desire for less vibration.

For reference, here is a stock image of the ROS I've been using for over 10 years. It has served me well and continues to function well, but it is time to move up to something that will be easier on my hands.

20150325124702KWBJSKZDIR6XQ_340.jpg

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I used dewalts for yrs. Got the Bosch a few years ago- less noise and vibration- Dc is good. damn canister is tough to get off and on though- but on the plus side it never comes off by itself. I would buy it again

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I used dewalts for yrs. Got the Bosch a few years ago- less noise and vibration- Dc is good. damn canister is tough to get off and on though- but on the plus side it never comes off by itself. I would buy it again

Mike, you wouldn't happen to know which model your Bosch is, would you? They have a number of different models available.

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
I hear you about Festool, Matt, and I was with you until I lucked into a Pro 5 LTD. This is essentially the ETS 125 ROS in a different color box. A promotional $99 tool designed to suck you into the Festool vortex. It worked because I’m now a believer. I used a Rigid for a long time and my hands vibrated long after I was done sanding. And I was always in a cloud of dust. I have neither problem now. The tool is quiet, gentile and effective. In my view dust management is one of the best features of Festool. The vacuum system is another expense, but I find it more than worth the dollars. I got the mini version and the combination can only be matched by another Festool.

They never go on sale because they don’t have to, but find one on Craigslist.

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
I should say that before getting the Festool mini vacuum I cobbled together a way to connect my shop vac to the sander using bits from Woodcraft. Festool does mm so it was not a perfect fit but worked just fine. Why change? The Festool system is HEPA, is activated by turning the tool on and off and is so quiet I don’t hear it turn on.

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
I have a Bosch 5" ROS, and I have been very pleased with it. They make a 6" sander, but I don't think bigger would be better. Price was about $70. Of course, you have to buy sandpaper in about 6 grits which adds to the cost. Chuck

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hear you about Festool, Matt, and I was with you until I lucked into a Pro 5 LTD. This is essentially the ETS 125 ROS in a different color box. A promotional $99 tool designed to suck you into the Festool vortex. It worked because I’m now a believer. I used a Rigid for a long time and my hands vibrated long after I was done sanding. And I was always in a cloud of dust. I have neither problem now. The tool is quiet, gentile and effective. In my view dust management is one of the best features of Festool. The vacuum system is another expense, but I find it more than worth the dollars. I got the mini version and the combination can only be matched by another Festool.

They never go on sale because they don’t have to, but find one on Craigslist.

I remember when they ran that promotion on the Pro 5 LTD for $99. I really wanted to buy one, but did not have the funds at the time. Honestly, I would love a Rotex and have kinda had my eye on a RO 125 FEQ 5 for a while now. And maybe Festool will be the way I go, if I can save up enough pennies, but was hoping to spend less than Festool prices, if possible. Their dust extractors are appealing as well, but having a DC setup and two shop vacs, it's hard to justify buying another vacuum - especially when I have already outfitted one of my shop vacs with a mini cyclone and HEPA filter and it has proven itself to do an outstanding job of sucking up and filtering out dust when hooked up to a sander. (Can't say it's very quiet, but both of my shop vacs are Ridgids, which at least aren't quite the screamers some other ones I've used have been.)

I have a Bosch 5" ROS, and I have been very pleased with it. They make a 6" sander, but I don't think bigger would be better. Price was about $70. Of course, you have to buy sandpaper in about 6 grits which adds to the cost. Chuck

Which Bosch model do you have? How is the vibration compared to other ROS's?

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
I remember when they ran that promotion on the Pro 5 LTD for $99. I really wanted to buy one, but did not have the funds at the time. Honestly, I would love a Rotex and have kinda had my eye on a RO 125 FEQ 5 for a while now. And maybe Festool will be the way I go, if I can save up enough pennies, but was hoping to spend less than Festool prices, if possible. Their dust extractors are appealing as well, but having a DC setup and two shop vacs, it's hard to justify buying another vacuum - especially when I have already outfitted one of my shop vacs with a mini cyclone and HEPA filter and it has proven itself to do an outstanding job of sucking up and filtering out dust when hooked up to a sander. (Can't say it's very quiet, but both of my shop vacs are Ridgids, which at least aren't quite the screamers some other ones I've used have been.)

Which Bosch model do you have? How is the vibration compared to other ROS's?
ROS20VS. It's my first and only ROS, so I cannot compare personally. Bought it from Rockler. Chuck

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I have had a Dewalt ros forever, changed the pad on it twice, I'll probably go with a Bosch next time as they have gotten good reviews from many folks.

Scott Carter

Reaction score
First name
Scott
In ROS's, I currently have 2 5" Rigids, a 6" Rigid, a 5" Makita, and a 6" Festool. I don't care for the Makita (Handle and vibration) and the 6" Rigid is a P.O.S., but the 5" Rigids are nice for smaller jobs. With that said the Festool is in another dimension compared to the others...it's smooth, balanced, very fine finish, and yet removes material nearly as well as a belt sander without all the big scratches left by a belt sander. I never thought a sander could be that different to justify all the extra money until I actually used one.

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
I have dewalt, delta, and bosch. the dewalt is not a VS but I have had it forever, it just won't die (american made). But I don't notice much difference in their performance otherwise. Iv'e got an idea Matt, use one of these
s-l640.jpg
for a few hours, then any ROS will seem like a Lexus...... you're welcome:cowboy:

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
I've always had Porter Cable, on my third one in about 20 years. Never had problems or complaints, but I might try the Bosch, seems to be a good one.