Rough turned maple bowl

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
This is a rough turned chip and dip bowl made out of beautiful maple burl that I got from @Mike1950 the other day. Initially I was going to core it but once I carved into it and saw everything going on, I decided to go this route. This one will be staying with me once it's finished. And since the inside will be turned again as well as sealed, I felt it was safe to use the silica beads to dry it out.

20211211_180320.jpg 20211211_180327.jpg 20211211_184258.jpg

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Good start on a pretty piece!

How long do you figure it will take to dry with the beads? Will you have to change out the beads before it's completely dry?

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good start on a pretty piece!

How long do you figure it will take to dry with the beads? Will you have to change out the beads before it's completely dry?
Thanks! I did one similar in size and it took a couple of weeks and yes I did change out the beads. :)

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Great Idea- almost looks like something is running down side and into middle. Looking forward to finished product.

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
Do you then recycle the beads, or are they a 1-time use product? Chuck
They can be recycled. You have to recharge them in the oven which takes a few hours for each batch of beads.

JerseyHighlander

Reaction score
First name
Kyle
Wow! That's going to be a beauty! I smelled onion dip as soon as I saw it... I love those impromptu design changes when the wood tells you to go a different way, they always result in the best things.

You apparently have a good source for bulk desiccant beads..?

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
Wow! That's going to be a beauty! I smelled onion dip as soon as I saw it... I love those impromptu design changes when the wood tells you to go a different way, they always result in the best things.

You apparently have a good source for bulk desiccant beads..?
Couldn't find any in town so I got these from amazon.

20211212_090748.jpg

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
whathesaid If I had a spare microwave, I would try that method but I don’t.

JerseyHighlander

Reaction score
First name
Kyle
Directions are written on the container??? Chuck
The directions are on the container that Barb posted a picture of above. Essentially you just have to bake the moisture back out of them in the over at roughly 225 degrees F for a few hours.
Most that I've seen change color when they absorb moisture and change back when they dry out, so you have an indicator both of when it's needed and when it's done.

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
The directions are on the container that Barb posted a picture of above. Essentially you just have to bake the moisture back out of them in the over at roughly 225 degrees F for a few hours.
Most that I've seen change color when they absorb moisture and change back when they dry out, so you have an indicator both of when it's needed and when it's done.
Duh! I should have read the label Barb sent!!! Chuck