Router Bits

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
For those of you with router tables, what are some of the essential router bits that you would recommend owning? I am seriously considering taking the plunge with a new router table. Thanks! Chuck

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Chuck, I would say roundover bits are a basic need. Straight bits also. My recommendation is to go with 1/2" shank bits as they are sturdier than the smaller ones. I also think it's better to get a few good quality bits at a time as you need them rather to buy a big set of lesser quality ones that you probably won' use most of anyway. Tony

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
There is a whole galaxy of bits out there, but for starters, like Tony said, roundovers, I would add a chamfer; 45 degree, and another thing I use a lot are pattern bits, with a guide bearing either top or bottom.

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
I went the other way... bought a large set of reasonably priced bits off Amazon to have those once in a lifetime use gizmos when needed, and will replace those I use enough to wear out with better bits as I wear them out. Saves on fussin and cussin when you need an odd one out of the blue.

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
I do not have a lot of experience with the router yet, but the way I'm approaching it is to buy the bits as needed. Yeah, it might put a project on hold for a few days if I need a bit I don't have, but I'd rather not spend my money on things I won't use or need. If it's not something that can be found locally, I've ordered items from MLCS a few times (mostly odd sized forstner bits I needed for a specific task) and have had it in 2 to 3 days each time - and they ship for free.

NeilYeag

Reaction score
First name
Neil
Actually @rocky1 suggestion is very sound if you are just starting out. You don't know what you need till you try it for a specific application. If you get a decent set with a good variety and then zero in on what you really use and then buy a high quality replacement it is a good strategy. Just know on the cheap ones you got to take it easy in terms of depth of cut ect. But one other bit that depending on what you want to do I recommend is either and upcut or downcut spiral bit. Good ones are pricey but they really come in handy for mortices and the like. And you may need to have a couple different diameters once again depending.

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Yeah I don't expect much from the ones I've got, but so far they've proven to be pretty decent. $100 for 80 bits I have a very wide selection when I want to do anything.