Router flush trim template HELP!!!!!!!!!

Mike_d_s

Reaction score
First name
Mike
I had a similar issue when I was asked to make a bunch of different MDF shapes for a local drill team for the girls to paint. I only did a few shapes, but they needed fifty of each. I ended up just making up two patterns for each shape. Each pattern exposes about 60% of the cut to the front and the back has some clamps to hold the piece. The second pattern has some locating pieces just screwed to it so the part from the first pattern gets positioned reliably.

They are basically sleds and I use a bottom bearing cutter with them. I rough the parts on the bandsaw, then do half the pattern on the first sled for all of them. Run them all on the second sled to finish up.

Takes an hour to put the sleds together and you're off to the races.

Mike

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
What Colin said! A vacuum system is the cats meow for high production, we used one at work with our overhead pin router to make shaped plaques. quickest easiest system I have ever used. Just drill a hole in your template and insert a nylon air fitting (with a valve) , use some self adhesive door sealing foam around the perimeter of it and it sucks down plenty strong....

Last edited:

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What Colin said! A vacuum system is the cats meow for high production, we used one at work with our overhead pin router to make shaped plaques. quickest easiest system I have ever used. Just drill a hole in your template and insert a nylon air fitting (with a valve) , use some self adhesive door sealing foam around the perimeter of it and it sucks down plenty strong....
Thanks Barry the door foam was what I was thinking. Glad to hear from someone who has used it for that purpose. It really does not take much to hold unless you are really aggressive. Think I will be setting this up soon the basket lady wants 30 of one size and 20 of another. It is not a bad gig if I can do them relatively fast. It is a 4 step process, band saw the rough shape, trim to the template, cut a groove around the edge for the splints, and put a 1/8" bevel around the perimeter. Already have 2 router tables set up to save some setup time, may dig out my old B&D router and setup a third to do the bevel. Not a job that I would be willing to do for a 40hr week however once I get going I should be able to keep up with demand working less than a day/week.