• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. The New Photo Gallery is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! The New Photo Gallery section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

Sanding Advice Please

Johnturner

Proud Member
Reaction score
First name
John
Here is pic of a wide rim bowl I am working on. I got up to 400 grit and noticed that there are fine sanding lines.
Start over at 120? Any other ideas?

20210627_160330.jpg

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
I'd probably go back to 80x, some of those look deep. To help see those deep scratches, I blow off after each grit, and look closely with light at a low angle.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
You should never move up to a higher grit unless you are quite confident that you've evened things out at the grit you're on. OTHERWISE ...

And, yeah, you should move back to a low grit and start over.

Last edited:

Alan R McDaniel Jr

Reaction score
First name
Alan
On some of the "You Tubes" I see guys using a sanding disc chucked in to a drill that they then use to sand bowls and such. I've never tried it on a lathe. I've used them to good effect on my carved bowls that have irregular surfaces but you've got to keep the disc contact surface in line with the grain or it doesn't do well.

Seems to me like it's a good way to get deep scratches going in more than one direction.

Alan

Lou Currier

Reaction score
First name
Lou
On some of the "You Tubes" I see guys using a sanding disc chucked in to a drill that they then use to sand bowls and such. I've never tried it on a lathe. I've used them to good effect on my carved bowls that have irregular surfaces but you've got to keep the disc contact surface in line with the grain or it doesn't do well.

Seems to me like it's a good way to get deep scratches going in more than one direction.

Alan
It may also help if you use sanding sealer and I agree with the others, start over, don't use a lot of pressure and keep the paper moving while you sand.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
John, do have reverse on your lathe? If you do, start over at 80 and sand forward and backward in each grit. That helps me out a lot.

DirtFarmer

Reaction score
First name
Jason
For bowls and such, I've found that there's a tool that you can put sanding pads on that rely on centrifugal force to spin the sander in different directions as the bowl spins. It's not perfect (and will bite your knuckles if you aren't too careful), but it's greatly reduced my sanding time.

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
Harbor Freight right angle drill for less than $25; hook and loop foam backed sanding pads on a mandrel; sand paper through grits 80 to 600; sanding sealer or raise the grain with water; slow speed on the lathe, alternate forward and reverse.