Sanding Question

Johnturner

Proud Member
Reaction score
First name
John
Members
I am sanding this Walnut object (My son's friend has a real cannon, the town asks him to fire it on some occasions) So he needs 2 of this size reamers for sponges and 1 slightly bigger one as a ramrod. In sanding this one, at about 500-600 RPM's I noticed these whitish lines. Tried sanding in this area, tried going back and forth, all with different grits.
HELP!

20200619_162444.jpg 20200619_162014.jpg

Brandon Sloan

Reaction score
First name
Brandon
What grit are you starting with? What kind of sandpaper? Whatever it is, it should sand out. Sometimes I run into little nuances while sanding. Switching sandpaper usually is the fix. If you have different types of sandpaper, you might want to give it a try. (Mesh style, paper backed, cloth backed) Just a thought, good luck!

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Sometimes wetting the surface with denatured alcohol before sanding with the grain helps me with walnut. If that doesn’t work, I’d drop down to a coarser grit before proceeding back through the grits,

Graybeard

Reaction score
First name
David
Those are interesting, probably a pain for you, but I'm curious if that's tear out or compression from the bevel rubbing too hard? Compression marks are hard to get rid of, David's idea is a good one. I'll use that myself.