Sappy Pine

B Rogers

Reaction score
First name
Bryson
I have a couple pine boards that look great but they are full of sap. I have planed them and wiped with both mineral spirits and acetone. I then sanded and wiped again. I’ve put a coat of shellac on them in hopes I could finish them with some spar urethane and use as a coffee table top. Do you all think that will work or am I wasting time because of all the sap?

E96DFE1D-67BD-474F-8BA0-4A5959B1F5F1.jpeg

B Rogers

Reaction score
First name
Bryson
Yes sir. They were actually from an old 2x12 I’ve had in my basement for about 7 years. It was leftover from a construction project. I was going to paint them until I planed them and saw how nice they looked.

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Yes sir. They were actually from an old 2x12 I’ve had in my basement for about 7 years. It was leftover from a construction project. I was going to paint them until I planed them and saw how nice they looked.
The sanding will heat up the resin and soften it. Don't sand it. Plane it with a hand plane or scraper and then use shellac to seal it.

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
I have some beams of old longleaf virgin growth pine and even it will gum up sandpaper (and it's over 500 years old.) Normally the resins in it are hard but heat from the sanding friction re-softens it.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
I have a couple pine boards that look great but they are full of sap. I have planed them and wiped with both mineral spirits and acetone. I then sanded and wiped again. I’ve put a coat of shellac on them in hopes I could finish them with some spar urethane and use as a coffee table top. Do you all think that will work or am I wasting time because of all the sap?

View attachment 198435

Looks to be partially dimpled too. That is nice looking. Hope it cures well and works out.

B Rogers

Reaction score
First name
Bryson
I noticed that as well. I wasn’t sure what to call that figure but it looks cool. The shellac dried with no sticky areas so hopefully it works out.

rob3232

Reaction score
First name
Rob
Hopefully this helps...

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Very interesting article. Did not realize there was a process to set pitch! Wonder how many with kilns have the capability to reach the temperatures recommended in this article. Chuck