Sargent planes and Stanleys

Babamba

Reaction score
First name
Dongkwan
Got gifted an old Sargent VBM 414 with a cracked tote and no knob/tote screws. Are there any parts from stanley that can replce this? maybe a 5? Or any other plane? I'm really not trying to make a tote but I would love it as a user

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
The knob would be a simple spin on even a pen lathe. The cracked tote... why not just unscrew it and use titebond glue on it?
I dont know about interchangeable parts. Will have to look at a few of mine to see. Pictures would (might) help here.

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
Your model number is equivalent in size to a Stanley No. 5 Jack plane, however they are proprietary so fit will be questionable as far as parts are concern- it is 14” long? Look at the date stamp or number stamp and that should tell you what wood species was used for the knob/tote and the handle.
1887 to 1909 = rosewood
1910-1924 = East India mahogany to the best of my knowledge it is Caribbean mahogany and Cuban mahogany; swietenia mahogani.
1925-1943 = mahogany (genuine mahogany).
1948-1950 = specified as hardwood.

It would help if you post some pics. and dimensions of the foot print. They do sell old stock Stanley wood tote and handle parts in rosewood or some type of hardwood- you can get originals and there are people who custom make them to fit per specs. Well, it is not inexpensive and you would have to weigh that with the existing value and condition of your plane.

If it is genuine rosewood you have to use acetone for adhesion due to the oil content. Can’t use water based glue like Titebond I- II & III are better. FYI- guitar industry uses polyurethane, epoxy system and cyano types for oily genuine rosewoods.

*Addendum: evilbay parts can be found if you have the patience to match your Sargent model- Stanley parts occurrence though is a lot more readily available. Lower version style of Sargent are O.V.M., Hercules and as well as Sears Craftsman that is Sargent made tools- not sure if the tote and the handle could be used as a substitute.

Last edited:

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
This is going off of memory from when I was working on some planes a couple years ago. I don't think you'll be able to use the Stanley parts on the Sargent plane. I never tested the threading to see if it might work, but my understanding is that Stanley used their own proprietary threading. As far as a rear tote - I do recall the long rod that holds it in place being different angles between Stanley and Sargent.

I'd go out and check and see if anything could be switched around - I do have both a Sargent 414 and a Stanley 5 - but they're not accessible in my shop right now.