phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
I don't recommend watching this whole video but surf through it and watch the creation of the scarf joint in these monster pieces of purpleheart. This is a REALLY hard wood and I'm amazed that he did so much of it with hand tools, and what a perfect fit he ended up with.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
When I first started researching wooden boat building I was quite surprised at how much purple heart was used in boat building.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
When I first started researching wooden boat building I was quite surprised at how much purple heart was used in boat building.
Yeah, that vid was the first time I had ever seen even a reference to it being used in boats

Borsco

Reaction score
First name
Scott
I have actually watched this guy’s whole series regarding the rehabilitation of the Tally Ho. It’s very interesting and for his age he seems very knowledgeable about boat making and wood working in general. Some of the videos are sort of drawn out because it’s a lot of the same thing over and over, but it’s still really neat.

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Amazing dedication... I kept thinking, ‘There’s got to be a faster way to do this!’

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Amazing dedication... I kept thinking, ‘There’s got to be a faster way to do this!’
I think that I, faced with a job like that would just say ... uh ... no ... forget it. I'm just going to go have a beer :smile:

419Tomb

Reaction score
First name
Tom
Thanks for posting, I watched the whole video and really enjoyed it.
This is dedication at its finest, and its good he has a young back!
Tom

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
I had an 8/4 x 12" x 10' purpleheart board. It was the heaviest board I ever lifted. Dented the tail gate on my truck trying to get it in. I cannot imagine how heavy those 2 pieces are and how hard it is to move them around.

Rich P.

Reaction score
First name
Richard
image.jpg It was a great video. Purple Heart does have some weight. I have moved these two more than once and the next time they are going into someone's elses truck.
Figured purple heart 12/4x 22"x10'

Borsco

Reaction score
First name
Scott
I may be wrong, but im pretty sure in the video previous to the posted one he mentions the weight. I think he said each beam was about 3,000lbs for a combined total of 6,000lbs