Scroll box

David Van Asperen

Reaction score
First name
David
Made a few scroll saw boxes for the grandchildren for Christmas. They have compartments for their treasures
Thes were toted as fun easy and fast
Mine were flustrating time consuming and appear they were caved with a dull chainsaw and ax

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

David Van Asperen

Reaction score
First name
David
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Being 1 1/2 inches thick was the flusteration part the blade tended to vary from 90 degrees if I cut too fast which was really slow . Took about 10 minutes to make the cut on the top still it slanted off usi ng a #9 blade.
It take a little ca in some places.

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
definitely cool, when my son was in HS I bought him a scroll saw and he found a pattern for some scroll boxes, he still has one that has several pieces that must be disassembled in the correct order to reveal the compartment. His 5 year old daughter loves trying to figure it out.

David Van Asperen

Reaction score
First name
David
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks all,
@sprucegum these are not that intricate more like a puzzle piece. Those multi move puzzle boxes have always intrigued me ,but I am just not that accurate to make one of those
Dave

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Thanks all,
@sprucegum these are not that intricate more like a puzzle piece. Those multi move puzzle boxes have always intrigued me ,but I am just not that accurate to make one of those
Dave
I don't recall them taking super accuracy as the cuts all just fit back in the original position. Following the directions or having a really creative mind are important. He did several from a pattern in the shape of a whale, I don't think we have one here. I think scrolling is really cool but I lack the patience.