Scroll saw as substitute for Band saw?

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
At the office, we have a jet set at 110. Tomorrows project is wiring the new woodshop portion which will have two 220v outlets. One is for a welder. The other will probably lead to the 220 conversion on the bandsaw, tablesaw, and drum sander.

JonathanH

Reaction score
First name
Jonathan
If you watch Craigslist & Marketplace there are always several decent 14" bandsaws for sale here in the DFW area in the $200-$500 price range.

You can't go wrong with a Delta 14" from the '90's or older for the type of work that you do. It will excel at it and you will sell the saw for what you paid for it when you no longer need it. Parts are affordable and readily available.

@ScoutDog

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I have owned a rockwell/delta20 " jet 18" laguna 14" and now own griz 21, 19 and extreme 19.
Bandsaws are a pretty simple tool. Not a lot of wear parts.
I lost interest when delta stopped making parts after they sold.
Laguna has best brake out there. It is a disc and works great. Laguna customer service is beyond bad.
Jet it was 18" 1.75 hp. Loved it. It was my go to saw. No brake. Son was helping me for a while so I sold jet because of no brake. Jet is notch lower than power powermatic. I recommend both
Griz. They are simple saws. Easy to work on. Parts are available. All 3 have brakes. 21 was my first griz, made in 2004. Bought cheap. Because it did not work right. Missing a part and worn out tires it has been a workhorse for 10 years.
19 is workhorse. 19 extreme. Ecetric guard up and down. Nice on old man's shoulder. 19" resaw with 5 hp and 850 lbs, it is a beast.
If I was going to buy again. Pm are spendy but very well made but $$$$$. My 21 and 19 used and extreme 19 new in 20 all cost about what PM 20 costs new. I would buy griz again but NOT with motor brake. I do not have motor brake but have friends that have major problems with it.
Ps. A bout half of bandsaw injuries are after saw is shut off. Thus necessity of brake.

ScoutDog

Reaction score
First name
JB
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the detailed info!
@Mike1950 I looked into those with brakes of any kind, and they are much more expensive and hard to find. Plus, I'm not sure my electrical system could handle going up to 220. :-(
I'm leaning toward an inexpensive 14", though a not-ancient Powermatic is quite appealing. With a difference of ~3x the price, I have some decisions to make.
I'll keep you all informed!
Thank you all, again.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I think it costs $200+- for a brake. I look at it this way, if a. Brake reducing possibility of accident by 50%, $200 is dirt cheap.
But be patient used is good. 14" on up is good. They hold their value.
All but 2 of the saws I have bought have been used. And the laguna was ding and dent.

ScoutDog

Reaction score
First name
JB
Are you saying I can add a brake to an existing 14" machine that didn't come with one originally?
Thanks again!
@Mike1950

JonLanier

Reaction score
First name
Jon
Dear WB Scrollers:

I have several projects at a standstill until I can get a functioning saw for detailed work. I've used a bandsaw previously, but mine flaked out recently. Most of my projects are at the small end for bandsaw work but the large side for scroll saw scope. Regularly ~3/4" thick wood (often harder woods) with a fair amount of detail and essentially no internal work a scroll saw specializes in performing. See photo below for example. The frame is 12" square for reference.

Do you recommend a scroll saw for suck work? If so, which brand and blade type/size is ideal for such work?
Is there another type of saw/machine I should consider for such work that bridges the gap in scale between scroll saw and bandsaw?

Thanks! :-)
I have one of the top-of-the-line (RBI Hawke G4) scroll saws from back when. 3/4" hardwood will be difficult for a scroll saw. Also, the blades you'd need to get won't turn on a dime like the others. I suggest you see if you can find someone nearby and try it out first. There is a different touch needed with a scroll saw than a bandsaw.

ScoutDog

Reaction score
First name
JB
Post-Script: After some searching on CL researching everywhere, I brought home a Delta 28-203 from 1996 (I think). Its cast-iron everything is impressively heavy! It's in great shape with periodic but not punishing use in its 3 decades.

I read that these came with either 1/2 or 3/4 hp motors, though this one has no markings identifying which. How can I find out?
In case it's decode-able: The serial number is: 96 F 95191.

Ironically, the seller was "downsizing" and getting himself a scroll saw next. The irony...
Thank you all again for the information and feedback on my queries!

JonathanH

Reaction score
First name
Jonathan
The plate on the motor usually has the horsepower rating listed. 1/2 horse is very common and is what was on the one that I used to own. Well, until it went out. I replaced it with a 1 horsepower.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
A good basic band saw. It should say somewhere on motor. Easy to get bigger motor but with 6" resaw and the right blade it should do anything you want it to.

JonLanier

Reaction score
First name
Jon
Post-Script: After some searching on CL researching everywhere, I brought home a Delta 28-203 from 1996 (I think). Its cast-iron everything is impressively heavy! It's in great shape with periodic but not punishing use in its 3 decades.

I read that these came with either 1/2 or 3/4 hp motors, though this one has no markings identifying which. How can I find out?
In case it's decode-able: The serial number is: 96 F 95191.

Ironically, the seller was "downsizing" and getting himself a scroll saw next. The irony...
Thank you all again for the information and feedback on my queries!
I was able to get ahold of an old Delta 28-203 as well last year.. Your Serial number tells you when it was made. Made in 1996 in the month of June. First two digits is the year, the Letter is the month. F is the 6th letter of the alphabet... thus making it June.

You can find information here for just about any machine ever built. Good resource: http://www.vintagemachinery.org/

From below, you can see that mine was made in 1990 in the month of October in Pittsburgh.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.png

Last edited:

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
That Delta 14" is a great saw. For most of us, myself included, it's probably all the bandsaw we'll ever need. (Though sometimes I do still desire an old Parks/Craftsman 20" to restore, lol.)

ScoutDog

Reaction score
First name
JB
@JonLanier @Sprung I appreciate the perspectives!
I would also love a 20" capacity machine! However, price, space, and electrical capacity in my household panel are limiting factors.
The 14" x 6" capacity should get me through 95% of what I need, and handsaws might just do the rest. Before getting this bandsaw, I spent hours securing smallish planks from modest logs using a handsaw. Now I can proceed with some speed.
Thanks again, all!

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
You will be happy with your saw. I've had a Delta 14" (mine is vintage 1946, and also includes a riser block) for more than 10 years and it really has done everything I've needed it to do. I will admit that there are a few times that having 20" capacity would have come in handy, but, truthfully, there is no real pressing need for me to probably ever upgrade from what I have.