Scrollsaw Bowl

tocws2002

Reaction score
First name
-jason
My oldest daughter (almost 12) decided she wanted to make something for mothers day, so I found something she could make on the scroll saw. I did the glueup of the wood and helped her with the scrollsaw since she hadn't used it before. She was very proud of her work, but not as proud as I am! And mom loved it, especially since it was full of chocolate.

Woods are jatoba and maple, approximate size is 5.5" tall x 8.5" wide.

Comments, critiques, and questions welcome.

Thanks,

- jason

20160502_193739.jpg 20160502_193746.jpg 20160502_193750.jpg 20160502_193755.jpg 20160502_193806.jpg

Last edited:

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Awesome! I love the design and wood combo.

MKTacop

Reaction score
First name
Buddy
I've done a bowl similar to that and it's NOT easy to do. Very nice work! Your daughter did very well!

ironman123

Reaction score
First name
Ray
Awesome bowl and the daughter that did it is awesome. Be super proud of that woodworker.

David Van Asperen

Reaction score
First name
David
What a wonderful fantastic amazing work of art. Looking at that bowl makes it hard to understand how someone that has not used the scroll saw much can achieve such awe inspiring results. Top shelf for sure,!!!

tocws2002

Reaction score
First name
-jason
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for all the compliments, I showed them to my daughter this morning. She was happy that so many people liked it.

Said she wanted to do another project soon!

Thanks again,

- jason

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
Very very nice. Care to share how you did the pattern? I'm not a scroll-sawyer, but my wife aspires to be when I find her room for a scroll-saw we have but not used.

tocws2002

Reaction score
First name
-jason
@TimR

Thanks, for the pattern I pulled it from the web. Just google scrollsaw bowl pattern and you should find several examples. If I was going to draw my own, I have access to Autocad and would do it using that. Figured I would try a couple with downloaded patterns before I invested any time drawing my own.

-jason

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Jason that is fantastic. What an impressive thing that a 12 year old wants to take the time to do that in this day and age where most 12 year old girls are glued to their phones. That turned out fantastic! Good dad. :ok:

I'm working on an add on that features a project of the week. This is going to be the first project featured if that's okay with your daughter. :smile:

tocws2002

Reaction score
First name
-jason
Jason that is fantastic. What an impressive thing that a 12 year old wants to take the time to do that in this day and age where most 12 year old girls are glued to their phones. That turned out fantastic! Good dad. :ok:

I'm working on an add on that features a project of the week. This is going to be the first project featured if that's okay with your daughter. :smile:

Thanks, she's a special kid and I enjoyed having her in the shop with me and helping her with the bowl. She does like her electronics, but carries a book with her everywhere she goes, the girl loves to read. As for the project of the week, I will ask her if she is okay with it, but am certain she would love it.

Thanks again,

- jason

Last edited:

tocws2002

Reaction score
First name
-jason
SNIP...

I asked her about this and she was excited that her bowl may be considered project of the week.

Thanks again,

- jason

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
SNIP...

I asked her about this and she was excited that her bowl may be considered project of the week.

Thanks again,

- jason

All I have to do is get the darn add-on working but it's conflicting with some others. I'll get it figured out though and when I do I will use hers first. No matter it is not that current week. :ok: