Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Second batch of Boiled Linseed Oil & Beeswax

Discussion in 'Sanding & Finishing - Woodturning' started by ThomasT, Jan 30, 2019.

1. ThomasT

ThomasT Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Thomas
    Hello Everyone,

I received a lot of help from @rocky1 about blending Boiled Linseed Oil and Beeswax and from @Tom Smart to use an electric crock pot to do the blending. I made up a batch of a "Wax" using 4 parts of BLO and 2 parts of Beeswax and very satisfied with how it makes a piece of wood look.

However, I decided to make a second blend to try and achieve a "Paste" that would go on a bit easier for the first coat/application and then follow up with the Wax. This time I used 3 parts BLO by volume and 1 part by volume of Beeswax and it turned out really good. Later on I will make a third blend with a different ratio and will video that process.

I made a video of the process and hoping this will help others if they decide to make a blend.

Thanks everyone for all the help and have a great day,

ThomasT

• Like Like x 4
  2. Tom Smart

Tom Smart Member Full Member

First name:
    Tom
    @ThomasT, I like it.

A question, why take the step to put the beeswax in the microwave to melt before putting in the crock pot? I just put the solid wax and BLO in the pot, plug it in and watch it melt together.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. ThomasT

First name:
    Thomas

Hello Tom,

I wanted to be sure that I was measuring 1-ounce so I melted all the small shavings, I had to add to it several times to get the right amount.

Have a great day,
    ThomasT

4. Tom Smart

Tom Smart Member Full Member

First name:
    Tom
    Ah, OK.

For me it’s not an exact science.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. ThomasT

First name:
    Thomas
    Hello Everyone,

Just up loaded another video showing applying some of the Paste, that I made in Project-2, to a Black Walnut Duck Call. This went on really easily and absorbed into the wood in a short period of time. I let this rest for a little less than 24-hours and then applied the first of four coats of the blended custom Wax that I had made earlier. I will let this rest another 24-hours and apply the second coat of Wax. I am most pleased with how good the wood looks after this process.

Have a great day,

ThomasT

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mike Mills

Mike Mills Member Full Member

First name:
    Mike
    Enjoyed the video.
    Maybe other will add their thoughts because I have not tried many different methods.
    My thought, to save time, would be to burnish in the first heavy coat instead of wiping it on and letting it sit to soak in.
    I would apply a heavy coat, crank 'er up to about 3,000 and use the cloth and a fair amount of pressure to generate heat to remelt the wax back into liquid and force into the wood.
    I think the wax would penetrate much deeper when liquified.
    Maybe if you have some scrap try both and see which goes back to the "blush" first.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  7. ThomasT

First name:
    Thomas

Hello Mike,

I believe you are correct, the Paste should be rubbed in as soon as it is applied. I will turn another call this weekend and try this new process and try to compare any differences. I have inspected the call this morning and the Wax coat that was applied yesterday is now dry and feels good and hard and the color looks great.

Thanks for your help and have a great day,
    ThomasT

8. FranklinWorkshops

FranklinWorkshops Member Full Member

First name:
    Larry
    I use a child-safe beeswax finish made with jojoba oil for all toys, wood toy blocks, baby gyms, etc. that I sell on Etsy. It's made essentially the same way you do it.

To get the proportions correct, I pour in four oz of the oil into a measuring cup and then add the shaved beeswax until the level of the oil rises to five oz. It is very accurate and eliminates the need to melt the wax in the microwave. Beeswax is very flammable, and you have to be careful when exposing it to heat. I make my own double boiler with an old 6 quart pan (my wife threw away) holding about a quarter of water. I put the glass measuring cup in the water and heat it until the wax melts and emulsifies into the oil, stirring it with a clean small stick while it melts. After it's melted, just pour it into the storage jars.

It's easy to control the desired hardness by just adding or taking away beeswax.

• Useful Useful x 2
  9. ThomasT

First name:
    Thomas

Hello Larry,

Thanks for this help, I had not thought about adding the Beeswax to the BLO. I will do that next time, sure would be much easier and faster.

I just applied the second coat of Wax to the Duck Call and it sure went on easy. The first coat of Wax had hardened and was very smooth and felt real good. The color of the wood is GREAT.

Again thanks for the good information and have a great day,
    ThomasT

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  10. FranklinWorkshops

First name:
    Larry
    Four parts jojoba oil to one part beeswax is the best for kids toys. I always supply a 1 oz container for the parent to rejuvenate the wood after they wash it. My blend is not water repellant so I have a different situation than you do.

11. ThomasT

First name:
    Thomas
    Hey again Larry,

Well my brain was asleep when I first read your post and that is why I asked about the ratio...:blush:, then it came to me:nodice:. My excuse is that I am so old the brain now has a lag time of several minutes or more:lol2:.

I Googled jojoba oil and it is quite interesting as a product, also quite expensive. Great that you are using it on those toys.

Have a great day,
    ThomasT

12. FranklinWorkshops

First name:
    Larry
    Thomas, I'm there with you. I tell my wife that my brain is so full that nothing else will fit unless I do a data dump. And I haven't learned how to do that yet. If you figure it out, let me know. Young people don't have these problems.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. ThomasT

First name:
    Thomas
    Hello everyone,

I had just finished applying the last coat of Wax on the Duck Call and one of my neighbors came by the shop and bought it. I forgot to take a picture but the finish turned out really nice. I really appreciate all the good advice.

Have a great day,
    ThomasT

14. FranklinWorkshops

First name:
    Larry
    That's the best compliment you can get - selling it immediately. Make another one, quick.

15. ThomasT

First name:
    Thomas
    Hello Larry,

I agree, my neighbor is my local friend that has the big wood working shop so he knows wood products. I need to get back to work on my Buggy / Horseless Carriage but will make some time to turn a couple more calls this coming week.

Have a great day,
    ThomasT

16. Bean_counter

Bean_counter Member Full Member

First name:
    Michael
    Very cool video Tom. I like the paste

17. ThomasT

First name:
    Thomas
    Hello Bean_counter,

Thank you, I really like this paste as a "base" coat because it penetrates the wood and then allows the Wax to be applied on top. I made another Duck Call this morning out of Canary Wood and applied a liberal coat of the Paste and then did as @Mike Mills suggested, burnished it in for about 5 minutes. Then I applied a second coat of the Paste and burnished that in for about 4 or 5 more minutes. I ran the lathe at 1,000 rpm's and kept the rag in contact with the call, moving from end to end. I could see the wax melting along the contact area and the grain of the wood really stands out now. I will let it rest until tomorrow and then apply the first of four coats of the Wax.

Thanks again Michael and have a great day,
    ThomasT

• Like Like x 1
  18. ThomasT

First name:
    Thomas
    Hello everyone,

I finished the turning of the two pieces of Black Locus for my Owl Hooter today and applied the first coat of the Paste. It is like Spring down here in Deep East Texas, plumb and pear trees are full of white blooms and it is a little warm in my shop. The Paste is a bit more to the liquid side rather than a paste. The attached photos show the Hooter after three (3) coats of the Paste, the wood just sucked up the first two coats. I am wondering if come Summer that I will need another blend of Paste to be a bit thicker? My shop is air conditioned but I keep the temperature around 76/77 most of the time.

Have a great day,

ThomasT

Owl-001-1.gif

Owl-001-4.gif

• EyeCandy! EyeCandy! x 2
  19. Nature Man

Nature Man Member Full Member

First name:
    Chuck
    Beautiful wood and finish! Chuck

20. ThomasT

First name:
    Thomas
    Hello Chuck,

Thank you, that is with just the Paste applied. I will apply 4 coats of the Wax over the next several days and it should darken up a little bit more.

Have a great day,
    ThomasT

Current Time: 10:46 PM