Segmented math

CWS

Reaction score
First name
Curt
I have an excel spread sheet somewhere that you decide the number of segment and diameter and it gives you length of segments you need. I have built a lot of seg-easy sleds for my friends. Unless you are going to do some odd angles the best widgies are drafting triangles. They are 45 deg., 60 deg. and 30 deg and cost about $6 at Hobby Lobby or most craft stores. I will post that spread sheet if I find it.:old:

Steve Walker

Expert Lurker
Reaction score
First name
Steve
I am moving to Leesburg VA, are you sure that is your final answer?

Are you bringing another container load of island wood?

Don Ratcliff

I'm now a Texiian
Reaction score
First name
Don
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am moving to Leesburg VA, are you sure that is your final answer?

:pieface:

Are you bringing another container load of island wood?[/QUOTE]
Nope, I learned my lesson on that. It is cheaper to have friends send it from here. I will likely end up on the Big Island and not VA. Since that is where most of the koa grows and it is still affordable to buy a place I am not going to mind going there.

kweinert

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Can’t hide....those missiles will follow you wherever you go.

missile-balloons-for-your-car-xl.jpg

Brian Chinn

Reaction score
First name
Brian
I found a calculator online but wanted to see if you guys had any thoughts on how to create a plan to build a segmented blank.

There are some that have space between the segments and others are butted up against the segments. The math for a blank that is butted together is easy to figure out, what I am wondering is if the math is different for the ones with spaces? A spread would change the circumference and while I have not yet tried this I would like some feedback on how to avoid potential pitfalls.

Also if there is any pointers on how to draw out a design. If you have something you have used as a successful drawing I would really like to see it, not to copy your design but to see how it was worked out on paper.

If you are just putting in thin spacers and accent colors you can use straight cut between the segments. It just makes the circle bigger.

gimpy

Reaction score
First name
terry
I found a calculator online but wanted to see if you guys had any thoughts on how to create a plan to build a segmented blank.

There are some that have space between the segments and others are butted up against the segments. The math for a blank that is butted together is easy to figure out, what I am wondering is if the math is different for the ones with spaces? A spread would change the circumference and while I have not yet tried this I would like some feedback on how to avoid potential pitfalls.

Also if there is any pointers on how to draw out a design. If you have something you have used as a successful drawing I would really like to see it, not to copy your design but to see how it was worked out on paper.

Contact Mark James over on IAP............................he will make your head spine............

gimpy

Reaction score
First name
terry
That use to be one of my favorites when I drank :wacko: