Shaper

norman vandyke

Russian olive burl guy
Reaction score
First name
Norm
What's the most you'd pay for a delta shaper? Local auction doesn't end until 11/20. I don't need but really want this and trying to decide what it's worth to have in my shop. Screenshot_20191102-192333_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20191102-192744_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20191102-192747_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20191102-192750_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20191102-192752_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20191102-192801_Chrome.jpg

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
I can tell you those bits alone are worth some pretty good coin.

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Depends on how bad you want it, or how much you would use it. do you need to make a lot of molding? One like that would have been several thousand new, but you see em a lot pretty cheap now, replaced by hi-tech stuff in the commercial shops, and kinda too big for the hobbyist, also a little scary to use without a power feed...

norman vandyke

Russian olive burl guy
Reaction score
First name
Norm
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Depends on how bad you want it, or how much you would use it. do you need to make a lot of molding? One like that would have been several thousand new, but you see em a lot pretty cheap now, replaced by hi-tech stuff in the commercial shops, and kinda too big for the hobbyist, also a little scary to use without a power feed...
Good points. I wonder how difficult it would be to convert into a router table though... If I could do that, it wouldn't be a scary and as @Tony said, the cutters are worth a bit by themselves. It might be worth the money just to resell the cutters and find a chuck to fit for 1/2" router bits.

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
I have seen that adapters can be had to use router bits in a shaper, but have also read that shapers don't spin fast enough for router bits. Just what I've ready - I have never used a shaper. I gave brief thought to snatching up one recently that was for sale cheap, but I don't have a definite need for it (already have a router table) and certainly don't have the space.