Shelix cutter head for my Delta 52-580 planer

larry C

Reaction score
First name
Larry
For whatever it's worth......I've been lusting for one of these Shelix cutterheads, ever since I found out they were available.....finally, in early May, this year,
I decided to bite the bullet and buy one. I ordered it from woodcutters.com, who for some reason sell the head for about $100.00 less than the manufacturer
(Byrd, in Kentucky).
To make a long story shorter, it finally arrived after about 3 month of waiting. I was sort of dreading installing it, as I had never torn my planer down, except to change blade before. Actually, it was a pretty easy job, taking about 3 hours, I had everything back together (and no parts left over). I had a piece of hard maple about 10" wide and a couple feet long for the first test.....OMIG, what a difference! This board came out smooth enough that it could have been sanded with 220 grit and a finish put on!
Needless to say, I'm impressed, I should have done this a couple years ago.....if any of y'all have questions or comments, they're welcome@
Larry

NCWoodSmith

Reaction score
First name
Scott
I also replaced my cutter head, LuxPro I think was the brand. I subbed that one because Byrd tool has forever had like a 6-month lead time on these things. I love it, amazing improvement.
I DID end up with an extra part —- a spring-loaded safety that locks the blade if you remove the chip shield. I don’t plan on doing that while it’s running, so I think I’m good.

EDIT: mine is a DeWalt DW735, 13”

Last edited:

Jolie0708

Reaction score
First name
Jolie
For whatever it's worth......I've been lusting for one of these Shelix cutterheads, ever since I found out they were available.....finally, in early May, this year,
I decided to bite the bullet and buy one. I ordered it from woodcutters.com, who for some reason sell the head for about $100.00 less than the manufacturer
(Byrd, in Kentucky).
To make a long story shorter, it finally arrived after about 3 month of waiting. I was sort of dreading installing it, as I had never torn my planer down, except to change blade before. Actually, it was a pretty easy job, taking about 3 hours, I had everything back together (and no parts left over). I had a piece of hard maple about 10" wide and a couple feet long for the first test.....OMIG, what a difference! This board came out smooth enough that it could have been sanded with 220 grit and a finish put on!
Needless to say, I'm impressed, I should have done this a couple years ago.....if any of y'all have questions or comments, they're welcome@
Larry
I can't find woodcutters.com or is it woodturners?
Thank you!

larry C

Reaction score
First name
Larry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I also replaced my cutter head, LuxPro I think was the brand. I subbed that one because Byrd tool has forever had like a 6-month lead time on these things. I love it, amazing improvement.
I DID end up with an extra part —- a spring-loaded safety that locks the blade if you remove the chip shield. I don’t plan on doing that while it’s running, so I think I’m good.

EDIT: mine is a DeWalt DW735, 13”

I can't find woodcutters.com or is it woodturners?
Thank you!
Try mywoodcutters.com

NCWoodSmith

Reaction score
First name
Scott
TOTALLY worth it. If you use your planer/thicknesser regularly, it’s a massive improvement. My LuxPro took three months to ship, Shelix would have taken 6-7 months. LuxPro came with extra cutters, too.

Firewater82

Reaction score
First name
Joel
(Byrd, in Kentucky).
Larry
Larry, how is the dust collection with your Shelix in your 22-580? The skinny little dust collection attachment with the stock 2-knife cutter head in the 22-580 is horrible for clogging even when hooked to a decent size DC. With the smaller cutters and smaller chips have you had many instances that the dust/chip collection has been a problem? My current dilemma is deciding on spending the $400 on a Shelix for my delta 22-580, for which parts are become scarce, or put that cash towards a new model with the three knives.
Thanks!
Joel