Shining a little light on the subject...

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Starting off on my kitchen counters...
NCM_1732.JPG
camera pix 286.JPG
By the kitchen door....
NCM_1715.JPG

Last edited:

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Then I went outside on my deck....
NCM_17671.JPG

NCM_17681.JPG

I really liked the old weathered look of the railing. But that went away last year when I stained it red.....pix look like crap now...

Last edited:

vegas urban lumber

Reaction score
First name
trev
Shadows, glare, reflections, white balance, images too dark - yeah those are all my problems. I can minimize the first 3 by going outside, but it does need to be overcast to eliminate the shadows and other problems you mention. That might be tougher for you in sunny Florida.

I bought several colors of heavy poster type paper to try different backgrounds. I've tried adjusting the white balance, using auto settings, using custom settings. It's just the camera is way smarter than I am (once I thought I heard it laughing at me). Thought about taking a class just to learn how to properly use it. But thinking about it is as far as I got.

I used Picasa to adjust the images but that had limited functionality and is no longer around. But it was free. Truth is I've just been too cheap to invest in Photoshop. The reason I don't update my Etsy site very often is because I hate taking the pictures. Much rather be making sawdust.

Photography is a constant discussion on the IAP forum. There are several resources in their library and many searchable conversations there. Take a look if you have not already.

Gimp photo editor is free and has lots of the functionality of photoshop. i use mine all the time

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
After a little while I noticed all my pictures everywhere looked washed out or foggy....

NCM_2157.JPG

NCM_2098.JPG
Turns out my lens on my phone was scratched. So I used some crest tooth paste and a q tip to clear it up...

Last edited:

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
That was a pita to set up every time I wanted to take a pic though....but I got pretty good results with it....
NCM_2522.JPG

NCM_2489.JPG

Last edited:

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
I tried different backgrounds too...Darker didn't work out so well...

NCM_2472.JPG

NCM_2481.JPG

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Knock yourself out dude! I put it here to discuss it. Cut the discussion over in the "what'd you do in your shop today" thread and import it here too.

rocky1

Reaction score
First name
Rocky
The beauty of the set up I built up there is you flop the shower curtain liner in your plastic tote, and put the lid on to store. Background is taped in the bottom, so when I pull it out, pop the lid, set it on the counter, roll the shower curtain over my plastic tote, and I'm set up and ready to go. Takes about 20 seconds to set it up!

rocky1

Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Not sure whether that one or the one with the flowers painted on it is cooler. Acrylic paints I presume? Or, is it decal??

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Not sure whether that one or the one with the flowers painted on it is cooler. Acrylic paints I presume? Or, is it decal??

The blue and yellow pen bodies? Those are glowin the dark resin. I got em off ebay for a couple buddies on the mossbergowners forum....

rocky1

Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Good looking glow in the dark resin, looks like flowers painted on there.