Shipping Ammo Between Private Individuals

Are you interested in being able to buy, sell, or trade ammo between WB members for wood, other amm?

• Yes I support ammo as barter and to be able to buy or sell it on WB.

• No, I do not support ammo as barter nor to be able to buy or sell it on WB.

• I like grits (because I know how to cook & serve them properly).

Results are only viewable after voting.

Don Ratcliff

I'm now a Texiian
Reaction score
First name
Don
I have a book that tells you all the states gun laws in a nut shell and Hawaii is hands down the strictest in the country! you have to register a firearm that is brought to that island within 48 hours unless it changed which I doubt it.
So you are "they".... where was that little nugget 3 years ago? I didn't bring my guns, gave them to my brother when we moved. I'm looking at a .270 weatherby now, I have to register with police station to buy a rifle. Once approved I can buy all the rifles I want for 1 year.

brown down

Reaction score
First name
jeff
So you are "they".... where was that little nugget 3 years ago? I didn't bring my guns, gave them to my brother when we moved. I'm looking at a .270 weatherby now, I have to register with police station to buy a rifle. Once approved I can buy all the rifles I want for 1 year.

Thats a freaking shame man. you shouldn't have to register any guns with government agency! the only guns that I own that are registered are my pistols and I don't even like them knowing I own those! a .270 is a great freaking round. my cousin uses that for his deer rifle and I load him 130 grain rounds. that ball is coming out of that barrel at around 3300 FPS :shok: but up there if you so much as hit a twig that ball is no longer on target. I will say this tho he rarely misses and when he shoots that deer does not move they drop right in their tracks! My 30-06 on the other hand will plow through trees and still kill the intended target :sniper:

brown down

Reaction score
First name
jeff
wetherby's are not cheap whats the price listing for that where you are? do they charge you to register that as well?

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why does one need a .270 on Maui, other than because We the Peeps owning more guns than the gov guns should be mandatory.

Don Ratcliff

I'm now a Texiian
Reaction score
First name
Don
First, I feel I should be armed and have plenty of ammo to protect myself and my wife regardless of the threat. Second and what it will be used for most often is the over population of axis deer, and sheep, and board on the islands.
They are about the size of a Columbian blacktail

ftd-axis-deer.jpg

Don Ratcliff

I'm now a Texiian
Reaction score
First name
Don
wetherby's are not cheap whats the price listing for that where you are? do they charge you to register that as well?
There is only 1 gun shop on maui, I haven't looked yet but that or the .270 Howa are the 2 I will pick from. They will order me what ever I want. The one I do get will have a ss finish because of the humidity here.

Don Ratcliff

I'm now a Texiian
Reaction score
First name
Don
Thats a freaking shame man. you shouldn't have to register any guns with government agency! the only guns that I own that are registered are my pistols and I don't even like them knowing I own those! a .270 is a great freaking round. my cousin uses that for his deer rifle and I load him 130 grain rounds. that ball is coming out of that barrel at around 3300 FPS :shok: but up there if you so much as hit a twig that ball is no longer on target. I will say this tho he rarely misses and when he shoots that deer does not move they drop right in their tracks! My 30-06 on the other hand will plow through trees and still kill the intended target :sniper:
The 30-06 is a good gun for sure, I just do not have a need for it here. The Deer are smaller and the distance is shorter. My brother hunts the trinity alps and is shooting over 600 yards using a 7mm mag. He sends me the video, you can see the bullet vortex in before the buck drops. My little brother is frigen Daniel Boone

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Don the .270 is a great cartridge but it might be overkill for your situation - you really should checkout the .26-06 it's on my short list. The .25-06 has many advantages over a .270 and versatility is maybe the biggest.

There's a good article on Chuck Hawks (which is my go-to site for reading up on any cartridge). Here's a few highlights I've taken from the article but it's worth reading it all.

The .25-06 was designed as a "dual-purpose" cartridge and is suitable for all CXP1and CXP2 game, which account for the vast majority of all game hunted in the United States. As the term implies, one rifle/cartridge combination designed to cover a variety of hunting and shooting situations.

Recoil in rifles of equal weight is 5 ft. lbs. less than the .270 Winchester shooting a 130 grain bullet. In a 6.75 pound rifle, the .25-06 recoils like a .270 in an 8 pound rifle. This means that you can have a light mountain/stalking rifle in .25-06 that will be within the recoil tolerance of the average shooter. The .270 creates a wider wound channel and has more energy, but we've already established that the .25-06 is an adequate caliber for elk. So, why have more of what you don't need? Instead, why not shoot a rifle with which it is easier to secure good bullet placement?

There are so many cartridge choices for shooters today that it sometimes seems that the latest trend-setting rounds must somehow provide new levels of lethality. Objectively, of course, that is silly. The .25-06 was a fine cartridge at its inception. It was made perfect with the arrival of the slow burning powders, and since its SAAMI standardization in 1969, it has not left the shooting scene. It truly can fit each CXP1 through CXP3 game need in a way that very few, if any, other cartridges can equal. Try a .25-06. You won't be disappointed!

Don Ratcliff

I'm now a Texiian
Reaction score
First name
Don
Thank you. I will look into it for sure. I was thinking about a .243 at first but it's been so long since I hunted I thought it would be better to have something with more forgiveness. I refuse to wound any animal on 4 legs.

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
I'm not a big fan of the .243

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
The .243 has a cult following but I want more energy. As the article points out, for the game on Maui the .25 will be adequate and then some. And there's something to be said for speed. You can't get a 270 moving as fast as a .25 and the .25 has a rep of being very accurate. The .25-06 shoots as flat as a 22-250 but the .22 obviously isn't even in the same league as the .25 with knock-down. The .25 is right at the doorstep with the .270 in that department with the right combo of bullet weight and powder chosen. I've done a lot of reading on it and I'm big fan even though I do like the .270. I actually started out looking at the 6mm and quickly saw the .25 was a better choice IMO. You can't shhot many rounds from a .270 before your shoulder waves the white flag, but you can take a .25 to the range and shoot it all day.

Having said all that, I love my 7.5 x 55 Swiss K31. And the surplus GP11 is very good ammo. It's not really practical for hunting but it sure is fun to shoot with the straight-pull action.

Don Ratcliff

I'm now a Texiian
Reaction score
First name
Don
I'm convinced thank you. As far as kick I'm 6'2" and 250# the kick isn't the true deciding factor for me. I had a 7mm savage synthetic, that would kick like a mule being castrated with a dull spoon. (You totally got the visual and made a face just now)

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Recoil hasn't been a huge factor for me either I'm a fire plug, but given a choice I will choose the pillow over the brick.
(You totally got the visual and rolled your eyes just now)

Don Ratcliff

I'm now a Texiian
Reaction score
First name
Don
Lmao! I did after "fire plug" then read the rest and wife asked wth is so funny from my outburst of laughter.

Don Ratcliff

I'm now a Texiian
Reaction score
First name
Don
If you will excuse me, I'm going to direct the wife what and how to cut some wood for a shipment. By the eod I will have a box ready or divorce papers. Wish me luck...

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
If you will excuse me, I'm going to direct the wife what and how to cut some wood for a shipment. By the eod I will have a box ready or divorce papers. Wish me luck...

Well I am milling cedar logs right now can't you multi-task?

Don Ratcliff

I'm now a Texiian
Reaction score
First name
Don
My wife, sharp power tools and giving direction to her while she is holding the shape power tools... you think talking with me while milling cedar logs is multi tasking? You sad silly little man, I pity you.

brown down

Reaction score
First name
jeff
I own a A very rare .243 and have dropped plenty of deer with that rifle! when buying a rifle you have to weigh in a few things. most importantly what you intent to use it for and secondly how accurate and reliable is the weapon ! the rest has no bearing! I don't care if you use a 50 cal or a .22 at the end of the day shot placement is all that counts and that the weapon goes off! I agree with kevin that a 25-06 will be easier on the shoulder but if you ever plan on hunting anything else other then whats on that island you might want to up that caliber! There is no better north american caliber then the 30-06. My rifle will drop any animal in north america no questions asked! sure a .22 will even drop an ELK but will you put the life of that animal on the lines with a light caliber? I won't!!!! I will always choose to use the most lethal force I can, to put that animal out of its misery as fast and humanely as possible. If you don't then a .270 or the 25-06 will do. one thing you have to consider is that the lighter the round there further it will go but also if you hit so much as a twig it deflects BIG TIME! thats my 2 cents!