• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. This section is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! All others will be deleted. This section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

Shipping large thin pieces

rob3232

Reaction score
First name
Rob
So, I purchased a large lot of pieces from what I think was a guitar maker years ago. I’m looking for a good way to ship these pieces? @Arn213 any ideas? Most are too big for flat rate and don’t want to take a chance on damage during shipping. They’re 1/4 to 1/2” thick. Thanks to all in advance. Template was in the lot when purchased.

Rob

B4804498-AA2A-417D-89B5-2A4C37BC3B76.jpeg

DE4B99FB-E47A-4459-98EB-48F81BBE869D.jpeg

23176798-C437-400E-BABA-F167C7585EBB.jpeg

0CA7D5B5-CC88-4536-9C2B-8B3472103268.jpeg

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
If the total size of a box you make is under 1728 cubic inches, you can send UPS simple rate for around $30

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
Dang, if that stuff was in my shop I wouldn’t be asking about shipping, I’d be asking what should I make with it. Nice!

Last edited:

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
:scare3::scare3::scare3:Wow Rob- that is a very nice haul! It came with a 1952 telecaster template too. Okay, first off don’t listen to any of these guys- well maybe only Eric just because his info. checks out and you don’t want to be pulled over by that guy :nodice:. Well, perhaps include Tom too- because his last name is “Smart” and he did have some points. Now, that Jeff guy, hmm:ponder:......well he wants to :saw::chop:these large pieces into 🎸 parts ........I will leave it at that:sarcastic:

UPS or FedEd- not USPS for sure for something that big and it will just be awkward to handle (priority mail will be to costly and their economy shipping is not that much any cheaper; literally a hair less).

When I ship or get acoustic sets- I ship and get it shipped via post office (priority mail service), but there is 1/4” Masonite or 1/4” plywood on both face the width of the back (9” with clearance)- ends sealed with wax, plastic wrap, strap tight with tape horizontally and vertically, then a single ply cardboard box (if it is expensive stuff, it gets bubble wrapped 2-3 layers over the sheathing. This method keeps it stiff and gives no flex. Thin material will have dimensional movement through it’s travel and what all of that does is create an environment to help relieve any stress in the wood. You don’t want to get this wood shipped and it comes delivered cupped,
twisted, bowed, crack, etc.

As for you beautiful super wide boards- it depends how many sequential cuts that you have. If you have about 2” thickness total, that will be stiff enough and not have any flex- but, you have to strap it tight together with plastic wrap and tape! This wood this wide and long- not easy to come by or replace- if this was mine, I would put a 1/4” Masonite (or 1/4” plywood) front and back or use double corrugated cardboard.

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
As much as I and Jeff see potential guitar stock out of it- if this was mine and say you have sequential cuts (say 4), I would make a desk or table out of it (raw at 30” x 72”.......could add koa planks to frame these panels so it becomes larger like 36-39” x 78”-81”) and laminated it over a substrate.

If you want to cut this up for acoustic back and side sets- you have to triangulated properly as there are areas there that you will not want to use because of the wild/flat sawn area which are better suited for electric tops. You need a bare minimum of 3/8” (dead flat) to 1/2” to get an acoustic panel. Personally, I would not cut these up for telecaster or Stratocaster tops- these can do better than that. My 2 cents for what it is worth.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I cut a piece of 1/2" plywood and shrink wrap. with that I might use 1/4 on other side. shrink wrap together and ship Fed ex

rob3232

Reaction score
First name
Rob
Thanks to all! I now have a better idea of how to move forward! Thanks all!

Last edited: