Shipping Solutions

Unishippers

Reaction score
First name
Justin
We manage the shipping for a great company out of Montrose, CO called Colorado Custom Woodwork. We are a full service provider, so we are able to manage all domestic/international shipments and anything from a package to 100K pound international shipments. Please contact me any quotes or a full cost analysis on how much we can save your company on their shipping.

[email protected]

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Unishippers said:
We manage the shipping for a great company out of Montrose, CO called Colorado Custom Woodwork. We are a full service provider, so we are able to manage all domestic/international shipments and anything from a package to 100K pound international shipments. Please contact me any quotes or a full cost analysis on how much we can save your company on their shipping.

[email protected]

Cool. I'll accept this as your intro. Welcome.

:hi:

Unishippers

Reaction score
First name
Justin
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Kevin said:
Unishippers said:

[email protected]

Cool. I'll accept this as your intro. Welcome.

:hi:

Thanks Kevin! This is an extremely well put together forum. I look forward to helping out anyone that may have any questions regarding their shipping.

BarbS

Reaction score
First name
Barb
It's good to know about you. Never know when we're going to have to ship a large commission! Thanks for posting.

Unishippers

Reaction score
First name
Justin
Joe Rebuild said:
I feel like I am marketing for Unishippers but I honestly cannot say enough how pleased we are with their service. I have been working with Gary Lushine out of Melborne FL. Gary has contacted me on numerous occasions to help me with shipments and to follow up on shipped items to make sure all went smoothly and that we were happy with Unishippers.

I input incorrect information through our Unishippers UPS account this morning. Nancy got me back on track in no time and JtheWW wood is on it's way to NJ.

Thanks again and keep up the customer service and great pricing.

Joe,

Since I am too new to send you a private message, below is the "answer" to your question about freight class. As you can tell, it is not very helpful. We have a program we use from NMFTA that helps us accurately classify your freight. Unfortunately there isnt really an easy way to answer it. Your Unishippers rep should be able to easily provide this.

Freight classifications are based on four characteristics:
Density: The weight per cubic foot.
Freight Stowability: The length and width based on carrier mode rules.
Ease of Handling: Evaluation of the care involved in transporting.
Liability: This includes the freight price per pound, susceptibility to theft, liability to damage, breakability and perishability.

Unishippers

Reaction score
First name
Justin
Joe Rebuild said:
Unishippers said:
Joe Rebuild said:
I feel like I am marketing for Unishippers but I honestly cannot say enough how pleased we are with their service. I have been working with Gary Lushine out of Melborne FL. Gary has contacted me on numerous occasions to help me with shipments and to follow up on shipped items to make sure all went smoothly and that we were happy with Unishippers.

I input incorrect information through our Unishippers UPS account this morning. Nancy got me back on track in no time and JtheWW wood is on it's way to NJ.

Thanks again and keep up the customer service and great pricing.

Joe,

Since I am too new to send you a private message, below is the "answer" to your question about freight class. As you can tell, it is not very helpful. We have a program we use from NMFTA that helps us accurately classify your freight. Unfortunately there isnt really an easy way to answer it. Your Unishippers rep should be able to easily provide this.

Freight classifications are based on four characteristics:
Density: The weight per cubic foot.
Freight Stowability: The length and width based on carrier mode rules.
Ease of Handling: Evaluation of the care involved in transporting.
Liability: This includes the freight price per pound, susceptibility to theft, liability to damage, breakability and perishability.

Justin,

Thank you for the info. I was looking for a way to get shipping quotes for various scenarios (size, weight, location) to better inform our customers of estimated shipping cost. Also, it is important to be able to provide customer quotes rapidly. I may loose a customer in the time it takes to get a quote from Unishipper. If I can get the quote to our customer while I still have them on the phone we have a much better chance of shipping our product. For instance if we wanted to ship a ( can stack on top) 48x48x48 pallet weighing 500# to 43201. Can I access this NMFTA program? Is there a "formula" that I can use to get "close" +/- 10%?

Thanks,

Your Unishippers Rep should definitely be able to set you up on our Freight Manager tool so that yo0 can provide accurate quotes to your potential customers.

Unishippers

Reaction score
First name
Justin
Unishippers said:

[email protected]

Please make sure you email me directly if you have any quote requests. If you go directly to our website, you will get routed to another shipping consultant that is not as familiar with your product as I am.

Thanks,
Justin Huffman
[email protected]

Unishippers

Reaction score
First name
Justin
Unishippers said:
Unishippers said:

[email protected]

Please make sure you email me directly if you have any quote requests. If you go directly to our website, you will get routed to another shipping consultant that is not as familiar with your product as I am.

Thanks,
Justin Huffman
[email protected]

I just wanted to thank everyone for their business and for helping out a small logistics company. It has been very nice learning more about your industry and getting to do shipments for some very nice and creative people. I look forward to working with my current clients and potential clients on future shipments!

Justin Huffman
[email protected]
704-931-8497 - Mobile

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Unishippers said:
Unishippers said:
Unishippers said:

[email protected]

Thanks,
Justin Huffman
[email protected]

I just wanted to thank everyone for their business and for helping out a small logistics company. It has been very nice learning more about your industry and getting to do shipments for some very nice and creative people. I look forward to working with my current clients and potential clients on future shipments!

Justin Huffman
[email protected]
704-931-8497 - Mobile

And it has been a steep learning curve for you has it not, Justin? We will continue to give you business and continue to help you learn in due time but the most important question is, how's that new bundle of joy doing?

Unishippers

Reaction score
First name
Justin
Kevin said:
Unishippers said:
Unishippers said:
Unishippers said:

[email protected]

Thanks,
Justin Huffman
[email protected]

Justin Huffman
[email protected]
704-931-8497 - Mobile

And it has been a steep learning curve for you has it not, Justin? We will continue to give you business and continue to help you learn in due time but the most important question is, how's that new bundle of joy doing?

Learning curve was steep but not as steep as learning how to be a father! She is doing great, thank you so much for asking Kevin. I will probably be reaching out to you soon for your advice on both topics! ::good2:

bigbbob

Reaction score
First name
Robert
I see these posts are a few years old. I used fed ex freight for my last pallet load. Are you all still happy with Unishippers? I may be looking to do more pallet loads if I find someone better then fed ex freight.
I did use freight quote once and will never go back. They damaged a load i sent to Virginia , after losing it for 3 weeks. Then they wanted me to provide what my cost was on the lumber I shipped, not what i sold the lumber for, but what it cost me. not sure how any of that makes any difference in what i sold. I really have a hard time with the trucking industry and how it figures things. I hardly ever do pallets, but sure would like to. i sell figured hardwoods from Wisconsin and the UP. Thanks for your help. bob

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Bob you're right the freight business is tough. I used Central Transport for years with excellent results but when the brokers like FQ started gaining gorund their prices actually went up unless you went through a broker. Unishippers/FQ etc. these are all brokers. FQ was not repsponsible for the damage to your pallet, the freight company was. I've had the opposite experience with FQ and Uni - I had trouble 2 times with freight companies trying to hit me with bogus backend charges when I used Uni. The freight companies give lowball bids to the brokers on your pallet, then once the order her has been negotiated through the broker they will often try to hit the shipper with a bogus backend upcharge for something once the pallet is delievered.

What matters is how the broker handles this. If they do not act as a barrier between you and the BS charge and just say you owe it, that's where the fight begins. Both times Uni told me that the freight company was trying to hit me with a backend charge I said tough titty I knew the guy on the other end both times personally and the charges were bogus, and that he would sign an affadavit attesting to it and that I wasn't paying a thin dime more. Both times Uni was able to get the freight company to back down. I have been using FQ lately simply because they have been getting me better rates than Uni - but I haven't been hit with any bogus back door charges using FQ either.

Shipping pallets has gotten outrageous. I was looking at a 16" jointer to be shipped from Wisconsin a few months ago and my rate through FQ would have been a little over $600, but the guy who had it said he could ship/pack/crate and have it at my shop for $390! I don't know if he was trying to subsidize the price of the jointer or not but that's low. In the end I simply couldn't spend the dough for the jointer even though it was a great deal.

Shipping pallets - it's a coin toss. It has gotten worse in a way. It sucks.

NYWoodturner

Wood Spinner
Reaction score
First name
Scott
I don't ship freight frequently at all, but have moved 2 pallets of wood and one lathe all through Uni. I have had no problems at all. I have a Fed Ex account and upgraded to a freight account that they said would get me a 60% discount... Their rate after the 60% discount was literally 4 times what the quote for Uni was and they delivered New York to Texas in the same time frame - 4 days. I have to fine them two thumbs up. :good2:

bigbbob

Reaction score
First name
Robert
Thanks guys. Geez, I feel lucky. I got 75% off from fed ex on a freight account. As for FQ, Yellow hauled the pallet. But the rep from FQ said it was a bad delivery and all their fault. He took responsibility and then I could not get through to him. I think FQ screwed up and did not want to pay. They got me a really low rate and i told them i would not do something that low. Just had a feeling. They then did a few more and I took the middle one, which was Yellow. Lost the damn thing for 3 weeks. Was suppose to be delivered in 3 days. I guess Fed Ex is not the worst . At least all I had to deal with was the wrong bid numbers. They did give it to me for what they said and not what they billed which saved me a couple hundred bucks. Guess it all a crap shoot. Thanks for sharing your wisdom. I really do appreciate it. bob

ps, Kevin, you could have drove up for the jointer and then picked up some real pretty wood from me.

Last edited:

bigbbob

Reaction score
First name
Robert
Just got some info on sending a pallet load to West Virginia using Fastenal. They offer to haul things from store to store on thier trucks.You drop off your load at one of the local Fastenal Stores and they ship it to the closest store to your customer. The customer has to pick it up there. I have been using Fed Ex freight. This seems to be much less money. Customers don't seem to mind. I am hoping to try this in the next few weeks. Here is the link on their web page
https://www.fastenal.com/web/en/22/third-party-logistics-(3pl)

Might be something to try. bob

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
I didn't know about the Fastenal thing that looks interesting.

I have a major gripe with uship and won't ever use them again. This last pallet was the last straw and I am going on a campaign to have them banned from the solar system, and possible the universe.