Shop plans

chanser123

Reaction score
First name
Chanse
Anyone have any good shop plans for size around 20x20. Been looking around the internet, but figure this is also a good place to ask. Looking at building one in near future if all works out

chanser123

Reaction score
First name
Chanse
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Very cool! Yes I am just trying to picture how to lay everything out and what it could look like inside. I guess what I am really looking for more then plans would be pictures of anyones shop that is 20x20 so I can try to picture how big it would be etc

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Hello,

How do you save the tool to your laptop?

Bill

I'm not at my computer right now. So I couldn't say for sure how. I can try to figure it out in the morning though...

kweinert

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Mine's in a two car garage so it's about 20x20.

South wall:
About 4ft of wall to enclose dust collector, pegboard for tools attached (that's going to change to an enclosed box), subpanel, about 2 feet (width) of shelving that contains microwave, toaster oven, tv shelf, place for drills and chargers, then a set of steps and platform into the house.

West wall: hanging cupboard over the platform, a utility sink to be added on the platform, then overhead cupboards and lowers, gap for 17" bandsaw on mobile platform, more overheads and lowers. The top of the uppers also get used for storage.

North wall: it's the garage door. The opener is disconnected and bolts are in the track so it can't be opened. I use the metal lip at the top of the door to hang small clamps. There's a 4' set of metal shelving for blank storage, Rigid spindle/belt sander on mobile base, 12" planer and scroll saw on mobile flip base, 16/32 drum sander on mobile base. I have a rack over the door for hanging pipe (and other long) clamps. I also store some plywood behind the mobile bases.

East Wall: This is a wall built between the two car and the one car. There's a set of lowers that has my vacuum pump/stab chamber on it. Then an open space that currently has blanks stacked in it. Not sure what to end up with there. Then another lower cabinet. Then the 12x32 (or so) lathe, door into the single stall where my wife parks, then the dust collector cabinet again. Overhead on that wall I have a rack for turning tools, an AC unit, and a big (22") fan for moving air, other custom racks for turning tools/boring bar setup. Also an air hose reel.

EDIT: the lower next to the lathe has my grinder mounted on top of it. This lower has 3 drawers and they're all used for lathe related stuff.

In the center of all of this is my table saw with an outfeed table that has drawers in it. My router lift is built into one end of the outfeed table and has drawers for bits, etc.

I was able to put the 60 gal air compressor in the single stall and I have some overhead and wall wood storage over there. I also built an overhead shelf where I store things I don't use much (small welder, extra air hose, etc.) My chop saw is on a folding mobile base (HF) and during the winter gets stored out in the shed since my wife likes to park inside to avoid snow and scraping windows. In the summer the single car is pretty much an extension of the shop and the chop saw gets left up.

There are still things that need to be done. I'm just now moving the dust collector from being mounted on the garage wall to the opposite wall. I didn't realize how much noise would be transmitted into the house and my wife's craft room is on the other side so I'm trying to reduce that impact. And it's also one of the reasons I'm moving from pegboard to a cupboard - to reduce the number of tools that fall off the wall now :)

On the dust collector enclosure: on the side facing the single stall (east side) is about 4 ft of pegboard on the top 1/2 and there will be a door on the bottom half. The bottom half is framed so I can get a 50 gal drum in/out. On the shop side is a solid dutch door (facing west) so I can get the filter out for cleaning and the bag out for emptying. The shop facing walls are solid and the inside of the enclosure is (will be) insulated to reduce noise and heat loss.

It's obviously still a work in progress but that's how the tools sit in there at the moment. Not much if anything will be rearranged, just touched up and made better. Right now dust collection is with a spiral hose that's moved from place to place, upgrading that is one of the changes but it won't affect tool moves.

Not sure if that helps at all.

Last edited:

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
One suggestion, based on the fact that my entire work are in my shop is only 12x24, If you can put wheels on equipment, do so. the lifting workbench wheels from Rockler are decent and there are numerous options for mobile bases for tools. that way you can push little needed items to the outside walls and get more central floor space.

kweinert

Reaction score
First name
Ken
One suggestion, based on the fact that my entire work are in my shop is only 12x24, If you can put wheels on equipment, do so. the lifting workbench wheels from Rockler are decent and there are numerous options for mobile bases for tools. that way you can push little needed items to the outside walls and get more central floor space.

I totally agree, but I have one thing you should keep in mind - I ended up building all of my bases for a couple of reasons. One is that only one of my movable tools has a base (bandsaw) so I was building both the base for it and making it mobile. I build the base for the bandsaw for two reasons: one was height as I need a specific height so the table would clear the top of the workbench over the lowers that I slot it in. The other is so that I could have 4 swivel wheels. I find that the bases with two swivels and two fixed are a major PITA to maneuver around. So far I've not had an issue with any of the tools moving when I don't want them to and I'll figure something out if that becomes an issue. It is something to keep in mind though.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Hello,

How do you save the tool to your laptop?

Bill

https://cdn0.grizzly.com/shopplanner/v1-4/help/help.htm
Saving Plans

As with all applications, it is important to save your progress as you go to avoid losing your work and to recall your plans at a later time. Saving floor plans is easy. Simply click on the save button in the upper left hand of the screen and your floor plan will be saved. If you haven’t done so you may be prompted to register, login and name your floor plan. Once floor plans are saved they can be accessed from the saved room drop down list.

That's pretty much it.... You'll have to open a page to load the plan instead of saving the program to your pc...