Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Should I!

Discussion in 'General Woodturning Discussion' started by Nathan W, Aug 12, 2019 at 5:20 AM.

1. Nathan W

Nathan W Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Nathan
    75D7AFA2-0D64-4273-9768-BE8DDE922253.jpeg This is for sale in my neck of the woods. For $40 it almost seems worth a shot. Would any of you with lathe experience try to turn a pen or a pot call on this ?

2. Nathan W

First name:
    Nathan
  3. T. Ben

T. Ben Member Full Member

First name:
    Troy
    If it’s all there,for $40 I’d give it a shot.

• Like Like x 1
  4. duncsuss

duncsuss Trying to turn a little better each day Full Member

First name:
    Duncan
    Not a pen - doesn't look to have anything near the build to make something that requires precision. Perhaps a call.

Note that this does not appear to have a removable tailstock center, so you are stuck with whatever is in there (it does not look like a live center), and I really doubt you'd be able to find a scroll chuck to fit that headstock, so you are likely restricted to a spur center and possibly a faceplate.

• Like Like x 1
  5. rocky1

rocky1 Creator of Shavings and Sawdust! Full Member

First name:
    Rocky
    Might be worth $40 as a collectible, provided you could find someone collecting antique toy lathes. Could maybe be fun to play with, BUT... finding anything to work with it is going to be about impossible as Duncan points out, and then anything you may happen to find to fit it, i.e. chuck, tailstock, etc. probably isn't going to fit anything else when you upgrade down the road.

6. TimR

TimR Sawdust Engineer Full Member

First name:
    Tim
    Yep, more novelty than practical usage.

7. Sprung

Sprung Amateur Sawdust Maker Full Member

First name:
    Matt
    Agreed with the above - not a practical tool for use. If this would be your first lathe, this is exactly the kind of lathe that would drive you nuts to the point where it would turn you off from ever wanting to turn anything again because of how awful it will be.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. T. Ben

T. Ben Member Full Member

First name:
    Troy
    I disagree,I started with a dremel Moro-lathe,could pretty much only turn chain pulls and knobs and the likes,but it was enough to get me hooked on turning without spending a fortune to find out I don’t like it,if it’s being bought with the hopes of turning bowls and stuff that big then I agree. Having not actually seen the thing with a little imagination and ingenuity a guy might be able to turn a small call on it. To turn a pen on it might not work so well,but again maybe a guy could make something that would work on it.

9. Patrude

Patrude Member Full Member

First name:
    Rich
    Just thinking possibilities, it won't take much space and at 40$ you might just have some fun with the tool.

10. Nathan W

First name:
    Nathan
    I should probably finish restoring the real lathe that I do have. I looked at my history and I got the lathe almost 14 months ago. It’s been a crazy year in my world!

11. rocky1

rocky1 Creator of Shavings and Sawdust! Full Member

First name:
    Rocky
    :ok: Speaking from experience, if you keep an eye out, you can occasionally run across some pretty sweet deals on the little Harbor Freight benchtop lathe on Craigslist, and there you have 1" x 8tpi spindle and MT 2 taper. So, pretty much anything you buy for it, you could likely use on your bigger lathe when you finish restoring it, or on a bigger lathe when you move up. (Unless you go seriously big lathe, then you'll have 1 1/4" spindle.) But...

I found one of those, barely used, cheap set of tools with it, faceplate, spurdrive, several glued up blanks, few old odd tools thrown in (screwdrivers, pliers, 3 piece set of vintage Sorby Wood Chisels), had to drive 60 miles to get it, and supper for the wife and I was $50, but I only paid $120 for the package, then sold the Sorby Chisels for $75.

While I haven't seen anymore deals quite that sweet, I have seen a few listed for $100 - $125, couple of them with a set of HSS tools, which is worth half the price they're asking, and honestly it's a pretty decent little lathe. Bit under-powered, but the headstock and tailstock line up nice, runs true, everything is nice and tight on it. I use it for buffing, and boring pen blanks, it's considerably more accurate than my drill press; occasionally turn something on it when I have something chucked on the Grizzly. But, after selling the Sorby chisels, I've only got $5 more in it, AND the $25 set of turning tools, than you want to spend on the Toastmaster up there, and I can get parts for it, if it breaks.

• Agree Agree x 1
Current Time: 2:22 AM