Tony
Interesting read. That's a dam shame..

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
and most of this lumber is going to one country. I wonder if they burn the contraband rosewood like ivory.....:headscratch2::scare3::deal::scare3::scare3: :cry:
:cry:

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
If I was a poor country boy in that country, I would probably be doing the same thing....

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
If I was a poor country boy in that country, I would probably be doing the same thing....
I agree Barry, it is so easy for us to judge. But when the choice is feed your kids or steal a tree and sell it in the dead of night our judgements seem petty. 4 billion people make less than 10 bucks a day. How many of us spend that much on lattes to wake up.....

NeilYeag

Reaction score
First name
Neil
Khao Yai is only a couple of hours out of Bangkok. I go there occasionally to drive around in the mountains and the National Park, it is truly a beautiful place. Like @Mike1950 said poverty is a very powerful motivator for all kinds of Sh...t. Keep in mind that Thailand is probably 80% agrarian and those that do work in factories the minimum wage here is about $300 a month. People upcountry basically live on whatever they produce, one or two rice harvests a year. And in the past the police were so corrupt that there was nothing to even slow them down. The new Premier seems to have improved the police situation so I think that has helped. So with all of that being said and China willing to buy all of it (as well as ivory) that it can is powerful motivator.

Another tragedy is https://news.mongabay.com/2016/03/h...es-towards-extinction-al-jazeera-documentary/ I guess a lot of this stuff goes to the Middle East and India. From my understanding on this is many times they just hack the tree down and if it does not have the Agarwood, they just leave it to rot.

Neil

Glenn Lefley

Reaction score
First name
Glenn
42CE8513-98EA-44BC-873C-1AEEE09A88E2.jpeg Boy I have a huge piece of beautiful crotchwood Siamese rosewood. Brought into Canada 20 years ago. Even have the paperwork. Quess it’s worth a big then. 6 feet long by 10-12 inch wide. 8/4.

Last edited:

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Boy I have a huge piece of beautiful crotchwood Siamese rosewood. Brought into Canada 20 years ago. Even have the paperwork. Quess it’s worth a big then. 5 feet long by 10-12 inch wide. 8/4.
You do realize that without pictures this fictitious piece of wood is just that...... :impatient::redcard::popcorn:

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
I agree Barry, it is so easy for us to judge. But when the choice is feed your kids or steal a tree and sell it in the dead of night our judgements seem petty. 4 billion people make less than 10 bucks a day. How many of us spend that much on lattes to wake up.....
Who ever is reporting anything like that within these lines tend to only show the one side of the story- the bad side of it. Do they ever tell the story why people are doing what they are doing? I saw a documentary once where an old fishing village in South Africa once thrived. That was their livelihood. The GOV. there restricted harvesting abalone to a point to almost halting it. What are those people suppose to do to survive and feed their children? They turned to poaching......

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Who ever is reporting anything like that within these lines tend to only show the one side of the story- the bad side of it. Do they ever tell the story why people are doing what they are doing? I saw a documentary once where an old fishing village in South Africa once thrived. That was their livelihood. The GOV. there restricted harvesting abalone to a point to almost halting it. What are those people suppose to do to survive and feed their children? They turned to poaching......
Yep and for us to sit here and judge their actions is not right. Kind of like lions and tigers- sitting in our comfy home, it seems cool to have lots more of them. Sitting in tent in Africa where 500 lb cats look at you as dinner puts a whole new perspective on it.....

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
Optically, speaking- woodworkers, furniture builders and instrument builders gets a bad rap for wood going on the restriction list. The perfume industry also has greatly impacted the logging industry with the demands of certain prized woods (for the oils, rosewood, sandalwood, etc.) used in the ingredients of perfume, cologne, etc.

So, if there ever comes a time when “they” come to investigate the wood stash, I would ahem, subtlety make a facial gesture (head and neck bending) towards the vanity table or vanity cabinet of my other half:wink:........... https://financesonline.com/7-most-expensive-perfumes-in-the-world-chanel-no-5-is-not-the-top-one/

Last edited:

Glenn Lefley

Reaction score
First name
Glenn
Optically, speaking- woodworkers, furniture builders and instrument builders gets a bad rap for wood going on the restriction list. The perfume industry also has greatly impacted the logging industry with the demands of certain prized woods (for the oils, rosewood, sandalwood, etc.) used in the ingredients of perfume, cologne, etc.

So, if there ever comes a time when “they” come to investigate the wood stash, I would ahem, subtlety make a facial gesture (head and neck bending) towards the vanity table or vanity cabinet of my other half:wink:........... https://financesonline.com/7-most-expensive-perfumes-in-the-world-chanel-no-5-is-not-the-top-one/
I never thought of that. The essential oils in prized woods used in the perfume industry. I bet they use more of the wood then any other industry.

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
I never thought of that. The essential oils in prized woods used in the perfume industry. I bet they use more of the wood then any other industry.
Wouldn't surprise me in the least, #1 on the list of uses for Beeswax in the country is make-up. US beekeepers produce about 40% of the nation's demand.