Singer Question

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
It looks just like the one my grandfather used, that's what I learned to sew on.

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Sorry, Barry, I'm not the person to ask - I know nothing about sewing machines. Greg would know. As would @Schroedc , but he hasn't been around for a while.

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
I bought one in better shape for about $75, stripped the drawers off for my wife to make a cool little stacked tea bag container. Tried selling off some of the hardware and a lid in great shape...no bites. I ended up pitching the sewing machine too...no hits practically giving it away. Best part is the base which I plan to put some cool figured board on for an entry area table.
There may be someone out there who wants a completely restored one, but I suspect so many were made, it's kinda like restoring old Victrolas. I wouldn't bother unless you enjoy the restore process and plan to keep or hand down.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
That one is pretty far gone, but the drawers and cast iron legs have some value. Is there a machine inside of it or is it gone?

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I'm always looking for the drawers from those machines.

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
My wife has one like that only it's been restored. The wood is quarter sawn oak so very pretty. I agree with what others have said - no intrinsic collector value, just value of fixing up something old to look good again. And Greg has a good point, the drawer fronts are carved and if in good condition could be put on something else if you decide to get rid of the rest.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Here's one thats in my collection that is all original and unrestored. Its known as a singer red eye.
20180807_140227.jpg 20180807_134709.jpg 20180807_134602.jpg

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
Howdy, I know it's been awhile. That one is pretty far gone, around here that one would get stripped for the cast iron base and the rest probably headed to the burn pile. If the drawers are sound a few folks would want them. The machine in it and any accessories in the drawers might have some value but research is needed and except for a few rare attachments you aren't going to get rich. The bases alone in my area go for 50-75 each.