• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. The New Photo Gallery is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! The New Photo Gallery section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

Smoking Pipe - Challenge

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
They are the pen blank jaws used for drilling
For a block that size, could probably use some 50mm jaws, and just remove two of them. Won't have as deep a grip, but that's what I'm going to try.
Never heard of those but now I have to look them up. :)
I did, and I'm still not sure how/what they are used for. Head shops sure have gotten complicated since the days of one hitters, roach clips and simple bongs.

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
I think you attach one end to your vacuum cleaner and stick the clear plastic end in your ear hole and then turn on the vacuum.

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
I haven't stated I'm in yet, but more than likely will enter. I did start one yesterday, but failed miserably. Got a catch, and since Mesquite is pretty weak stuff, I lost the bowl. I have way too much stuff going on right now to firmly commit, but after next weekend, I'll know for sure.

@Barb, does it have to be wood?????????

I would suggest if anyone is planning on using Desert Ironwood, please don't. The fumes are pretty bad for some people................... Jerry (in Tucson)

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
You found that in the beach in Waikiki?

Not so fast Gman- according to the rules:deal: , :pleasantry:it must be out of wood:pleasantry:.

Don Ratcliff

Tinkering on something
Reaction score
First name
Don
You found that in the beach in Waikiki?

Not so fast Gman- according to the rules:deal: , :pleasantry:it must be out of wood:pleasantry:.
Yeah... found it... not even sure what it was...

:unknown:

It's made from alumiwood, you can tell from the grain pattern that's shaped like mountains.

Last edited:

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
I haven't stated I'm in yet, but more than likely will enter. I did start one yesterday, but failed miserably. Got a catch, and since Mesquite is pretty weak stuff, I lost the bowl. I have way too much stuff going on right now to firmly commit, but after next weekend, I'll know for sure.

@Barb, does it have to be wood?????????

I would suggest if anyone is planning on using Desert Ironwood, please don't. The fumes are pretty bad for some people................... Jerry (in Tucson)
I believe it does have to be wood or a hybrid at least. I'm just going by what others have said. :)

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
I think whoever started the challenge can decide if it has to be wood or not. Their challenge, their rules.

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
Well, at the very least it should be made on a lathe but as far as material, whatever you're willing to turn on your lathe is ok with me. I once turned a stabilized rock and I won't be doing that again lol. Made a nice pen from it though. :)

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
Barb, 3 pages in, only one serious picture, do you ever feel you never had control?? Nope, wasn’t going to say you lost it, with this group.......have a wonder evening my friend.

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
Barb, 3 pages in, only one serious picture, do you ever feel you never had control?? Nope, wasn’t going to say you lost it, with this group.......have a wonder evening my friend.
I try not to fool myself into thinking I ever have control of anything. Besides, the way everyone jokes is one of the best things about these challenges. You have a wonderful evening too. :)