(Solved) How to attach maple veneer for a roof shingles effect?

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
I'd worry about the steel rusting, unless you ordered stainless?

Two thoughts come to mind. First, exterior glue with a rub joint. Simply put glue on a piece and rub it in place for a few seconds until it becomes sticky and stays. Try it, you'll be amazed how well it works. If your shingles start to slip a little, angle the mailbox so roof is horizontal.

Second is exterior glue again, but use a drop of CA GLUE to hold the shingles in place while the glue dries.

polyted

Reaction score
First name
Paul
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yep, rubbed joints are the best, especially with hide glue. The thing is, these shingles overlap each other so the contact surface is not that great. I have yet to experiment with CA glue :) The product I ordered says stainless steel.

polyted

Reaction score
First name
Paul
Folks, so many good ideas around with two principal themes of using fasteners or adhesive. On reflection I came up with a compromise approach: I ordered $7 worth of 24 gauge steel wire. I will pre-drill all the panels (stacking them together to make it a breeze) in two places, then simply "sew" them on the mailbox like jewelry, haha. Thoughts? Either of the proposed approaches is high either in time (screws) or cost (adhesive). This I hope will meet the two in the middle, I hope to advantage. Thanks!
When its done I plan to coat the whole thing liberally in spar urethane and make the mail lady happy!

steve bellinger

Reaction score
First name
Steve
I know I’m late for this party but,I’ve made a number of bird houses over the years with shingle roofs. I always used liquid nail with good results. Now I think if I make anymore I will use loctite sure grip. Just put a dab on and it sticks and stays in place. The thing with liquid nail is they would slide till they dried. Loctite don’t. I have used loctite to hold tile to walls with no problem doing repair work.

Wildthings

ASTROS 2019 WORLD CHAMPION VIDEO PLAYERS
Reaction score
First name
Barry
I know I’m late for this party but,I’ve made a number of bird houses over the years with shingle roofs. I always used liquid nail with good results. Now I think if I make anymore I will use loctite sure grip. Just put a dab on and it sticks and stays in place. The thing with liquid nail is they would slide till they dried. Loctite don’t. I have used loctite to hold tile to walls with no problem doing repair work.
I use Loctite Sure Grip to secure the tail feather quills to the form when mounting my birds. Good stuff

polyted

Reaction score
First name
Paul
I use Loctite Sure Grip to secure the tail feather quills to the form when mounting my birds. Good stuff
Interesting how much subtlety there is in glue types and applications. For this small project I bought 316L type steel wire and currently threading my second layer of shingles. Painstaking method but results are sort of what I was envisioning. Will post a pic when it's done!

Wildthings

ASTROS 2019 WORLD CHAMPION VIDEO PLAYERS
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Interesting how much subtlety there is in glue types and applications. For this small project I bought 316L type steel wire and currently threading my second layer of shingles. Painstaking method but results are sort of what I was envisioning. Will post a pic when it's done!
Looking forward to the pics. Be sure to take progress pic just not finished pics. Oh and I don't think the wire would work for the tail feathers!

polyted

Reaction score
First name
Paul
Looking forward to the pics. Be sure to take progress pic just not finished pics. Oh and I don't think the wire would work for the tail feathers!
Work in progress ... It's more of a pain than I thought it would be. I'll attach final pictures soon. If I had kids I'd give them this project - feels like I m building a birdhouse.

IMG_20200619_104840269.jpg

IMG_20200619_113743167.jpg

IMG_20200619_133923771.jpg