some vintage material

duncsuss

Trying to turn a little better each day
Reaction score
First name
Duncan
A while back I got some vintage galalith -- it's one of the first manmade materials, created by extracting casein (a protein) from milk and processing it with formaldehyde. Usually it has pale "stripes" of opaque and semi-clear cream shades along the length of the rod, but this particular batch has a beautiful added twist to the pattern. I've never seen anything quite like it.

Anyway, a friend from high school asked me to make a pen for him to give his wife as an anniversary gift ... here's what I came up with.

galalith-1.jpg
galalith-3.jpg
galalith-5.jpg

rdabpenman

Rifle Cartridge Pens/Braided Polymer Pen Blanks
Reaction score
First name
Les
Interesting looking material.
Is the black color seen in the blank in the material or is the tube painted black?

Les

duncsuss

Reaction score
First name
Duncan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Interesting looking material.
Is the black color seen in the blank in the material or is the tube painted black?

Les

There's no tube -- the barrel is simply the galalith drilled through then threaded with taps and dies. The black inside the tube is the piston screw on the ink cartridge-converter (there's no ink in it yet -- when there is, you'll be able to see some of that colour showing through the forward end of the barrel.)

Last edited:

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
That is some neat looking stuff! I guess it comes in different colors? My brother showed me a Le Blanc pen he has that is a vintage reproduction made with red bakelite. Ever use any of that stuff? I think your material looks better though....

duncsuss

Reaction score
First name
Duncan
That is some neat looking stuff! I guess it comes in different colors? My brother showed me a Le Blanc pen he has that is a vintage reproduction made with red bakelite. Ever use any of that stuff? I think your material looks better though....

Galalith does come in different colors, but I haven't used any of the other rods I got. (Some examples in the photo below -- this rod is on the left hand end.)

I've got some yellow/honey/amber translucent bakelite rods but haven't dared put them on the lathe yet -- being see-though means there has to be a lot of internal sanding and polishing, which is a royal pain in the you-know-what, but the results can be spectacular.

galalith rods 2.jpg

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
That's cool! Never heard of that material, but I love the look.

duncsuss

Reaction score
First name
Duncan
Very interesting material, it looks organic to me.
Yes, it reminds me of sea sponges and dried cholla cactus -- at least, the swirly-spirally one does.

Herb G.

Reaction score
First name
Herb
That material reminds me of whale baleen. Very nice pen, BTW.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Very cool. I like the red colored rod....
That pen is stunning Duncan. Well done sir, well done....

duncsuss

Reaction score
First name
Duncan
Very cool. I like the red colored rod....
That pen is stunning Duncan. Well done sir, well done....
Thanks, Marc.

It's hard to say for sure, but I think the other rods will lose some of their saturation as they are turned down to pen-barrel diameter -- it looks that way from the ends. I don't want to leave the best part on the floor, so I'm planning to try turning down a very short piece before committing to how I'm going to use it. Caps are normally thicker than barrels, so that might be the way to go.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Thanks, Marc.

It's hard to say for sure, but I think the other rods will lose some of their saturation as they are turned down to pen-barrel diameter -- it looks that way from the ends. I don't want to leave the best part on the floor, so I'm planning to try turning down a very short piece before committing to how I'm going to use it. Caps are normally thicker than barrels, so that might be the way to go.

What about making cigar tubes? Those need to be a good size. Maybe one would be good. Or a christmas ornament...