**ɛռɖɛɖ** Something new and Very different!

shadetree_1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Joe
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Let me know how they work out, I know this is an experiment for everyone, maybe @rhossack has some tips on stabilizing bark being as how he has been using bark for about 10 years on his fly rods

Last edited:

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Got my blanks today also. They look awesome.
Thanks Joe....

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I've been using Red Fir Bark for 10 years or so for pens, fly rod handles and reel seats.

I no longer make grips full length (short sections) because while pretty, they are not as durable as cork when dropped.

bild.php
Ron, those are pretty cool and wild looking! Since I haven't used a wood handled fly rod yet - I can't say whether I'd like the feel or not. I'll get lots of opportunity though. Have about 20+ rods to restore. Maybe a wood handle will make its way on one or two.

rhossack

Reaction score
First name
Ron
@rhossack are your blanks stabilized?
No they are not. Let me say this, none of the bark I harvested looked as nice as these. Mine are riddled with beattle tracks and the thickest is 4" or so.

I tried stabilizing once and it was a utter failure (can't remember if it was Ultraseal or Cactus Juice).

And because my bark was from fresh cut trees it was very pitchy and sticky.

I have quite a few boxes full of bark that has been sitting in my garage for 5+ years so it is dry so I can try stabilizing totally dry bark.

I think somewhere here I posted a tutorial on how I go about doing bark. Here it is

https://woodbarter.com/threads/the-journey-warning-pic-heavy.9147/

rhossack

Reaction score
First name
Ron
Ron, those are pretty cool and wild looking! Since I haven't used a wood handled fly rod yet - I can't say whether I'd like the feel or not.

I actually like wood better than cork. It's not slippery when wet. I do use a Moisture Cure Urethane on my wood handles.

I've also used Gorilla Glue as a finish when sitting around in the winter rubbing it on the reel seats.

shadetree_1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Joe
You can't fool us Mike we know you really want to play with the box !

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Uhhhh------yeh------ummm----ok------yeh, that's my story-------I like to play with my boxes!---------hmmmm------is that too personal?..................

shadetree_1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Joe
Uhhhh------yeh------ummm----ok------yeh, that's my story-------I like to play with my boxes!---------hmmmm------is that too personal?..................[/QUO

It's ok Mikey, we understand, really we do !

Last edited:

kweinert

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Got mine Saturday. The duck calls will go to my stepson after they're stabilized. When I told him he said "Cool - a duck call that's all live edge."

I wonder if any of them have sufficient void to try casting one after stabilizing. If there'd be enough color to make it worthwhile. Or maybe I should cast it in clear just in case there are sufficient voids to make it non-useful for a call.

shadetree_1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Joe
Got mine Saturday. The duck calls will go to my stepson after they're stabilized. When I told him he said "Cool - a duck call that's all live edge."

I wonder if any of them have sufficient void to try casting one after stabilizing. If there'd be enough color to make it worthwhile. Or maybe I should cast it in clear just in case there are sufficient voids to make it non-useful for a call.

Here is a hair brained idea, weigh them down in a pot of thin CA and let them soak for a day or so, might not be cost worthy though.

rhossack

Reaction score
First name
Ron
Here is a hair brained idea, weigh them down in a pot of thin CA and let them soak for a day or so, might not be cost worthy though.
Since my Scottish roots show from time to time and I hate throwing any wood project that has gone astray.

With my really bad rings with monster beetle track holes I will pack the holes with fresh ground Starbucks dark roast (only suitable use for this and what my daughter-in-law drinks) and I flood the pieces with thin CA.

I buy these cards of small tubes of CA at Wallyworld that have 4-6 tubes on it for a $1. Perfect use for junk coffee and junk CA.

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
...... fresh ground Starbucks dark roast (only suitable use for this and what my daughter-in-law drinks) a.........

I think you and my Dad are related. Took my Dad to Montana to fish - early one morning the only coffee available nearby was Starbucks. Took a picture of him drinking Starbucks and posted it to facebook, and I think half of our hometown fainted!

kweinert

Reaction score
First name
Ken
The only concern is that there could be internal voids. I'm thinking that I should put it under pressure to ensure that any cavities are filled. Not so important for the stopper blanks, could be crucial for the call blanks.