Something to add at long last

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
I don't know why you thought that?

I'm thinking Doc needs to go check on Mr. Peet's brother if he's threading tendons with his.

Don Ratcliff

I'm now a Texiian
Reaction score
First name
Don
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Got the power ran for the new lathe today and was able to turn on it. A kou bowl I started a couple years ago was dry and ready to go.

Had some pith around the knots so I sanded down a pen blank scrap and filled with the dust and ca.

20190126_165950.jpg

20190126_170014.jpg

20190126_165956.jpg

20190126_170053.jpg

20190126_170039.jpg

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
I love HI Kou and has similarity with Ziricote (heartwood).........the color is fresher when is recently opened and gets very dark into a bronze warm gray with purple highlights when it oxidizes.

F698FCBC-1CB9-4C11-A6DE-38DC9C4AE2DE.jpeg

Just to be fair and for comparison purposes, I added the photo below (Jan. 28th) of what this piece looks like now after it oxidized after 2 years of resawing it and leaving it to season. Tried to take the photo of the same view when it was first opened up......

836E8CB0-2473-4CA7-A486-0A0F0A552D3A.jpeg

Last edited:

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Nice shape. Are you keeping it or selling it or gifting it?

And will you be making a lid for it?

Don Ratcliff

I'm now a Texiian
Reaction score
First name
Don
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I give everything to maya, if she sells it thats up to her. Eventually I will fill the house and she will have to sell something... or get a bigger house...

I had another section ready to go for a lid but it cracked and broke on me so no lid.

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
@Lou Currier and @Tony I added before and after photo’s when the wood oxidized.

Can wait to see what Don’s bowl when it get finished- please post photo’s. Sorry Don, didn’t mean to hijack your thread and just passing information to the WB Community.

KOU is as important as Koa to native Hawaiians as far as history for bowls, calabash, etc.. It actually planes like butter. Outside of Hawaii, it also grows in the Polynesian Islands...........I have seen some objects that turns really dark as it ages, almost to the point some look like charcoal in color with dark brown highlights. You can mistake it as ziricote at times and the difference is the density.

Last edited:

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Anyone heard from Gilligan lately? He's been awful quiet of late, and that's not normal for him! Don't know if the natives got him, he fell in the volcano, shark ate him, or he made his lovely wife grumpy one too many times.

wKvaD-1456337223-2054-list_items-lie_detector.jpg

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Anyone heard from Gilligan lately? He's been awful quiet of late, and that's not normal for him! Don't know if the natives got him, he fell in the volcano, shark ate him, or he made his lovely wife grumpy one too many times.

View attachment 165143

He's fine, I talked to him about a half hour ago as a matter of fact. Just running around busy like Stoopid Islanders do!

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Yep, his job has em busy like a chicken with it's head cut off...
:sarcastic:

CWS

Reaction score
First name
Curt

View attachment 165143
Maybe someone locked the door on the bomb shelter where he sleeps.:sofa: