Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Sorta logging..... or scrounging

Discussion in 'Logging' started by barry richardson, Dec 8, 2017.

1. barry richardson

barry richardson Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Barry
    Swung by my local wood dump today and got a couple of nice picks. A big chunk of Eucalyptus of some sort (so many varieties it's hard to tell when it's already cut up) and a couple of burly pieces, thought it was olive, but after scratching on it a little, it's probably African Sumac. Stuff to keep me busy for a while, the photo of the cant shows the nice curl in the eucalyptus, got a couple of big bowl blanks from the chunk, the burls will make several small turnings... 20171208_170421 (1).jpg 20171208_170021.jpg

• Way Cool Way Cool x 12
    • EyeCandy! EyeCandy! x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  2. The100road

The100road Member Full Member

First name:
    Stan
    Nice score!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sprung

Sprung Amateur Sawdust Maker Full Member

First name:
    Matt
    Very cool! You find some of the best stuff at that wood dump of yours.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Tom Smart

Tom Smart Member Full Member

First name:
    Tom
    We don't have a wood dump around here, just a dump.

I'm jealous.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Nature Man

Nature Man Member Full Member

First name:
    Chuck
    What a treasure trove! Keep harvesting the wood dump as much as you can, as who knows how much longer it will be available! Chuck

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. sprucegum

sprucegum Member Full Member

First name:
    Dave
    Just wondering are these from ornamental plantings that have been pruned or removed? Some of it sounds a little exotic even for Az. There is a stump dump near my home but access is restricted by a locked gate. If contractors or individuals want to dump they have to contact the town road foreman to get access, if they leave it unlocked people will dump old furniture, appliances, and tires. Once or twice a year a mulch supplier brings in a big tub grinder and processes the whole mess into landscaping mulch and biomass for wood burning power plants.

7. barry richardson

barry richardson Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Barry
    Yea pretty much every thing that gets dumped is from yard trees. Most trees are not native, heat loving trees that have been imported from about everywhere to make the City of Phoenix green. Here they mulch the small and green leafy stuff on an industrial scale, but usually the big pieces are put to the side to process for firewood, the rest just sits around in big piles, maybe they will chip it some day.... It is a Hispanic family owned operation And I befriend El Hefe from time to time with turnings I have made from his wood, he loves em and gives me the run of the place....

• Way Cool Way Cool x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Mike1950

Mike1950 Founding Member Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Mike
    Ours is county owned. NO public access. In 96 we had an ice storm. It stripped the pines-spruces-and all others. It overwhelmed them. Some one had the bright idea to bury it. End of July 97 it started to burn underground. They dumped thousands of gallons of water on it for weeks. Made a spectacular steam cloud- when the wind was right it created a fog-steam road hazard some mornings on the freeway and some complained about the sooty mess it created in their yards. They stopped with the water. we were lucky we had a very wet winter that finally put it out. It really steamed on cold winter mornings. I look at some of the trees they chip and :cry:

• Like Like x 1
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 1
  9. sprucegum

First name:
    Dave
    I believe that a substantial portion of the country's energy and building material needs could be from wood and other biomass that is wasted. I have trouble keeping on the road when I drive along any forested section of road around here because I get gawking at all of the dead and down timber that I can see within the length of my 100' winch cable. I spend half of my deer hunting time looking at what is lying on the forest floor and wondering if it has spalted. Although dirty burning stoves cause pollution wood is pretty much carbon neutral, growing trees use CO2 and emit it when they are left to rot or are burned. I guess you could say some of us are helping to save the environment when we stop the decay process of spalted wood and make something useful from it. If I were younger I think that just to prove a point that I would use my winch, chainsaw, and mill to harvest enough down and dead timber to build my house. Trouble is when I was younger all of those toys and the time to use them was just a dream. As they say the young man has the ambition but not the means, the old man has the means but not the ambition.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  10. rocky1

rocky1 Creator of Shavings and Sawdust! Full Member

First name:
    Rocky
    The loss of potential building materials/energy resulting from storms such as the hurricane we recently experienced here, just asking the highways was staggering. And, rather than attempt to salvage any of it, it was sawed into short pieces loaded on dump trucks and hauled to the landfill by road crews. Made absolutely no sense whatsoever.

11. sprucegum

First name:
    Dave
    Fortunately fuel chips are valuable enough up here that if a large amount of material is available at one location someone will process it and haul the chips to a power plant. The wood burning power plant in Burlington VT. even takes unprocessed trees and other wood delivered to the plant in small trucks. They even do Christmas trees for a few days in Jan.

12. Mike1950

First name:
    Mike
    We started down that path- using wood waste for power in late 60's but the treehuggers and sierra club took over timber management in PNW and we now have a much more effective timber management tool.

ap_17249724054042.jpg

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Sincere Sincere x 1
  13. sprucegum

First name:
    Dave
    appears to be fully functional. For whatever reason large forest fires are rare here. Grass and brush fires are common in the spring before things turn green but they rarely burn more than a few acers. Few years back one started not far from my home and the fire chief called in a panic wanting me to bring my tractor to haul indian pumps across rough ground to the fire. When I got there he was very excited and yelled at me to hurry because if it makes it to the woods we are screwed. Not willing to destroy my tractor I slowly pick my way to the blaze that had already made it to the woods. There was still patches of snow in the woods and the fire self extinguished. One of my sons friends works fighting western wildfires and he says the same thing you do about poor forest management being the root of much of the problem.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Mike1950

First name:
    Mike
    2 million acres this yr in Wa. and Ore. alone. It is stupid- as we speak the lawsuits are starting to prevent burnt trees from being harvested. In 2 yrs the sewers ( spelling is accurate) will drop suit cause the trees will no longer be marketable....

north-america-grizzly-bear-625x450.jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. rocky1

rocky1 Creator of Shavings and Sawdust! Full Member

First name:
    Rocky
    Oddly enough we have a wood mulch plant here and the yard isn't half full, but none of the trees the highway department cleaned up wound up there to help pay the expenses of clean up.

16. sprucegum

First name:
    Dave
    I guess we have our share of tree huggers but so far it has not gotten out of hand. My son just got the contract to clear cut a 100 acre tract of a town forest that is mature spruce infected with some kind of fungus that kills the trees. Of the 3 person board of town selectmen one felt it would be much better to allow the trees to die and decompose in place, as my son said what a %$#^&*# idiot. Good spruce will cut 20,000 feet /acre and is worth around $300/1000 the town will realize roughly 1/3 of the gross. It is a small rural town I expect $200,000 will make a big dent in the budget.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mike1950

First name:
    Mike
    Yes different there- out west feds and states have 100's of millions of acres- it is sickening to see what is happening....

18. Mike1950

First name:
    Mike
    It started with the spotted owl needing old growth to nest - Millions of acres for a few of them- but now you can read the truth- damn things were nesting in billboards churches- building. But the barred owl was encroaching their territory and thought they were delicious... We took a whole industry- huge industry down. But that aint all- In washington the schools were funded from logging from state lands-so our taxes went way up at the same time WWPPS happened- we were building 5 Nukes- biggest municipal bond default up to that time... We are the government and we are here to help you............................:blush::punish: I think I am ranting again... :rulz:

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. sprucegum

First name:
    Dave

Hopefully this link works it is a video of my sons new loader delimbing and slashing some plantation red pine he is harvesting. He has gone almost completely automated with his operation, most days the chainsaws never get out of the tool box. On this job they are harvesting around 100,000 board feet/week red pine is pretty low value bringing only $240/1000 delivered but that is still quite a chunk of change. They use around 100 gallons of diesel every day and are running over a million $ worth of equipment so they need to produce. It is the way things are going in the industry insurance companies hate chainsaws and hand cutting.

• Way Cool Way Cool x 1
  20. David Van Asperen

David Van Asperen Member Full Member

First name:
    David
    Our landfill is over full of. Urban trees and wasted wood from pallets and other building sites . I am positive there is more than enough lumber wasted in our area to make all the Habitat for Humanity homes that made in South Dakota. If it has a crack or a nail or screw in it it gets tossed. I wish I could have all the trees that people pay the landfill to dump them there. I wood be so happy and tired

• Agree Agree x 1
Current Time: 4:45 PM