Spalted maple-Closed

Az Turnings

Reaction score
First name
blake
lookin for some heavy spalted maple for stab/dying. Looking for pen blank and stopper size would really like the black defined spalt lines also some crosscut pieces. Have a ton of things to trade! Let me some what you've got! Thanks! :good2:

Last edited:

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
I've got pen blanks. Probably some river birch mixed in with the silver maple. Small flat rate box full?
IMG_0903.JPG
IMG_0904.JPG

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Yes that is exactly what I am looking for! What were you wanting in trade? If you don't want I can pay too!

Trade is good for me. What have you got in abundance? Anything that doesn't grow around here...

Az Turnings

Reaction score
First name
blake
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've got a nice collection of ironwood. What sizes are you looking for? If you want to to a bigger trade I have about a 12 " around mesquite burl that I'd be willing to trade.

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
I've got a nice collection of ironwood. What sizes are you looking for? If you want to to a bigger trade I have about a 12 " around mesquite burl that I'd be willing to trade.

I'll turn anything from pen blanks on up. I can't get mesquite around here, so I'm always interested in mesquite... plain or burly. One of my favorite bowls ever was from a plain Jane chunk of Arizona velvet mesquite.

Mesquite burl sounds delicious... what else could I tempt you with?

Az Turnings

Reaction score
First name
blake
I'll turn anything from pen blanks on up. I can't get mesquite around here, so I'm always interested in mesquite... plain or burly. One of my favorite bowls ever was from a plain Jane chunk of Arizona velvet mesquite.

Mesquite burl sounds delicious... what else could I tempt you with?
What do you got? Anything turning related works

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
What do you got? Anything turning related works
I've got more spalted stuff including some curly spalted maple in peppermill blank sizes. I've got some fresh Bradford pear. I've got elm burl in stopper/call blank sizes. I've got a little oak burl that could use casting and some black ash burl. I've got buckeye burl in chunks. I've got some Honduran rosewood burl from pen blanks to chunks. I've got a little lignum vitae. I've got some Aussie burls in various sizes. I've got some nice walnut in rounded mill blanks. There's some figured and burly redwood. I'm sure there's some other stuff knocking around the shop that's not coming to mind.

Az Turnings

Reaction score
First name
blake
I've got more spalted stuff including some curly spalted maple in peppermill blank sizes. I've got some fresh Bradford pear. I've got elm burl in stopper/call blank sizes. I've got a little oak burl that could use casting and some black ash burl. I've got buckeye burl in chunks. I've got some Honduran rosewood burl from pen blanks to chunks. I've got a little lignum vitae. I've got some Aussie burls in various sizes. I've got some nice walnut in rounded mill blanks. There's some figured and burly redwood. I'm sure there's some other stuff knocking around the shop that's not coming to mind.
That buckeye and redwood catches my interest. Got any pics?

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Here are a few things... 10 more spalted maple and birch pen blanks and a few larger spalted birch blanks. A couple of buckeye slices 7/8" thick. A buckeye chunk that is 5 3/4 square by 2-4" tall. Three redwood call blanks(2 curly and one burly) and a cherry burl. What else can I show you?
IMG_0909.JPG

Az Turnings

Reaction score
First name
blake
Here are a few things... 10 more spalted maple and birch pen blanks and a few larger spalted birch blanks. A couple of buckeye slices 7/8" thick. A buckeye chunk that is 5 3/4 square by 2-4" tall. Three redwood call blanks(2 curly and one burly) and a cherry burl. What else can I show you?
View attachment 121180
That works for me! Let me post a pic of that burl I forgot to mention it's still green. If it fits in a large flat rate I will stuff it full with other wood to make up for it? Just let me know. Thanks

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
That works for me! Let me post a pic of that burl I forgot to mention it's still green. If it fits in a large flat rate I will stuff it full with other wood to make up for it? Just let me know. Thanks

Green is fine with me... looking forward to seeing it

Az Turnings

Reaction score
First name
blake
Okay so here is that burl. I would have to trim a little to make it fit if that's ok. If not I have a set of mesquite pp mill blanks also some ironwood pen blanks and about a 1 7/8" square chunk of curly palo verde. Let me know!

IMG_2027.JPG

IMG_2028.JPG

IMG_2029.JPG

IMG_2030.JPG

IMG_2032.JPG

IMG_2033.JPG

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
The mesquite rootball/burl looks interesting... no telling what's inside that! The spindle blanks look cool too... can't tell if those mesquite blanks are actually large enough for mills or not(2 3/4+). I'm not picky, so you can send whatever you'd like.

Got yours boxed up and ready. If you'll PM your address, I'll get the box in the mail next week.

Love the dark socks with the shorts...:taunt:

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
@Az Turnings Got my box today! Everything looks great!

What's the stabilized piece front and center? Some kind of vine?

Great trade! BTW, I added 'closed' to the thread title... if you want more spalted stuff, let me know, and I'll remove that from the title.
IMG_0919.JPG

Last edited:

Az Turnings

Reaction score
First name
blake
@Az Turnings Got my box today! Everything looks great!

What's the stabilized piece front and center? Some kind of vine?

Great trade! BTW, I added 'closed' to the thread title... if you want more spalted stuff, let me know, and I'll remove that from the title.
View attachment 121711
Oh yeah that is a saguaro rib! Just stabilized though so let me know how it turns! Haven't even tried them yet